• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A brief history of my Oakley's...

clsmooth

Oakley Beginner
I thought I would do a more proper introduction by sharing the Oakley's I used to own or still have.

I thought I already shared this on the forum, but I think it was another forum that went down? No bother, I don't mind sharing again!

Frogskin

10669191_10154872282165414_669493918981483672_o_zpsed89rebt.jpg

My first pair of Oakley's were Frogskins.

I wasn't really into this stuff but I was (and still am) into frogs and somehow I came across or was introduced to these. I can't say I necessarily liked them for how they looked but liked the name so wanted it.

I can't quite remembered exactly how much I saved up as a kid, in the $140 neighbourhood sounds right, but there was the one-and-only sports store in the small, ****hole town I was in back East that carried the brand. I couldn't decide on what colour frame to get, not that there was a lot of choice back then, so I went with no colour and got clear. The lenses in em at the time were the fire iridium's, yellow/red mirror lens (couldn't really pick 'n choose your colour setup back then as much as nowadays), but I left 'em in my jacket pocket snowboarding one day and both lenses got scratched to ****. It's probably why I'm a little more paranoid about my shades now because of that.

I special ordered a different colour of lens from the same store (I think for $40 - $60?) and at the time had one-of-a-kind custom Frogskins before there was were options to customize Oakleys. I liked blue even then and got the ice iridium colour.

I think subconsciously I never wholeheartedly liked the style, just the name, and I believe I sold em to one of my brother's friends so I could buy my next pair off of him.

Last edited:
Sub Zero

image.php_zpso8srhuxs.jpg

My 2nd pair were Sub Zero's. Red/blue iridium lens with frosted edges and the grey hammer-finish frames.

My brother got these somehow but then realized the whole 'being-different' thing isn't him. His loss was my gain and bought these off him for I can't remember how much.

I loved these and rocked them for like 4 years straight or something like that. 2 provinces later, I finally... finally put a scratch in the lens. Bound to happen I suppose.

I was so distraught I called Oakley's Canadian office in Montreal and asked if there happen to be any extra lenses kicking around the back or something (this was pre-useful internet). There weren't, but they gave me a offer/deal; if I sent my Sub Zero's into them with a cheque for $88, they would in return send me a pair of Zero's of my choice (what the Sub Zero evolved into), so that's what I did. I don't think Oakley would do anything like this anymore.

I'd like to have another pair again to add to the collection/occasionally wear.

Last edited:
Zero

image1.php_zpsmiidicke.jpg

These were the ones Oakley exchanged for me. These were called Zero's cause they were still ridiculously light, but technically not as much as the Sub Zero's I believe. Same colour combo as the previous Sub Zero's; down to the frosted edges of the red/blue iridium lens but I think, like a gun-metal grey frame.

I loved these as well and rocked them for about 3 years until I came across a deal I couldn't refuse. My brother had a co-worker, and this co-worker had a brother himself who apparently worked for Oakley in Montreal. The deal was any glasses you want off the website, for half the website price; cash, no taxes, no questions asked. I looked online at the time to see if anything jumped out and my next pair called out to me. So I sold these for I can't remember how much to help pay for the next pair.

I would also like a pair of these again...

Last edited:
Penny

image2.php_zpsohgyvw6y.jpg

These were the ones that jumped out at me that I got for half price. Online they were $465 when they pretty much first came out, and I picked up the ice iridium lens and (actual) titanium frame; I got for $232.50.

These were great and loved em, but then an ex-girlfriend clearly didn't lock/arm my car properly. These got stolen from my car along with all my CD's, the faceplate for my deck and whatever change was in there. Needless to say, I don't keep anything in my car anymore. I think she offered to either pay or help pay for a new pair. Went back online and they were now $490. She never ended up contributing a dime and I don't believe the relationship lasted for much longer afterwards anyways.

I couldn't get them half price anymore as by then this co-worker's brother wasn't at Oakley anymore. Probably got fired for selling stuff out the back door...

Last edited:
Half Jacket

10830529_10154872282230414_3399167363949405071_o_zpsmzqcjlfj.jpg

I couldn't really find anything I liked at the time (or in my price range), but found these Half Jackets in store in a mall in Surrey somewhere. I haven't seen this colour combo with the lens and frame before nor since, with the staggered blue and white.

These ones did the job and I liked em more than the borrowed Eyepatch's but naturally not as much as my old Penny's.

These ones I lost and completely my fault. I didn't use a case back then and left em in a black pouch on the floor of this chick's car... at night. So it skipped my mind they were there and by the next day they mysteriously disappeared.

I'm fairly confident her psycho ex took em and sold em for booze money.

She offered to buy me another pair and I said I'd just prefer cash as I didn't want a pair of Foakely's from the night market.

She asked how much I paid for em, I truthfully said $170. I haven't heard from her since...

Last edited:
Penny (again)

image2.php_zpsohgyvw6y.jpg

After sharing the previous scenario with some co-workers, it was when I was told about and introduced to the Oakley Vault at the Seattle Outlet Mall, and was told there are in fact Penny's on the shelf and for cheap.

These were now $690 online and the only colour(s) you could get were the ones Cyclops wore in the X-Men movies; that dark grey frame with red/black lenses.

The outlet mall did in fact have the blue lens with the titanium frames on the shelf and picked em up for $230 again; and probably the last ones new anywhere.

I kept these for years this time til they wouldn't stay on my face anymore. Nose pieces aren't available anywhere, and some of the rivets are loose and floppy.

They're now permanently on display as part of my collection!

Last edited:
Crankcase

1601272_10154872282315414_4488541908688832466_n_zps4htr4fg9.jpg

With the Penny's not staying on my face, it was time to look for something new again.

Of all the new styles that were out at the time, I, ironcially, liked some of the cheapest pairs available. Thought that was a nice change versus the styles I like are usually $300+.

I got these from the Oakley Store in Metrotown for $110. Dark grey frames with olive green O and dark grey lenses. Thanks to the internet this time around, I found and popped in a pair of green iridium polarized lenses now that these are easily customizable.

These are currently in active rotation...

Last edited:
Back