• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Absolutely livid at how my Holbrooks are holding up.

Maybe. If you look through the history of Oakley they had huge quality control issues all over the place. They are known for good quality polycarbonate lenses and impact resistance but high level daily durability was not something most would associate with Oakley, especially with their easy-to-scratch lenses. Similar to your story, Oakley has had issues with coatings all throughout its history. They still couldn’t get consistency on their FMJ coatings even after a couple decades which is why you do not see them around these days. Coatings on the X-metals took years and a couple generations to fix. The coatings on the Mag stuff was atrocious. That is not even including all the other issues including problems with spring hinges, O Matter getting brittle from the pre-1999 formula, spider cracks on some frames like the Riddle and Romeo, etc.

Maybe I’ve just been exceptionally lucky then. I did have an FMJ issue and one broken frame after 5 years of use, but I’ve had more hold up for many years of hard use. To be fair all that have been solid have been Pro and regular M Frames.

The later gens of M Frames are solid. It is because Oakley learned through the years what the issues are from the Blades, Razor Blades, Mumbos, gen 1 M Frame and gen 2 M Frame. Oakley doesn’t always produce a quality product that stands the test of time on the very first try, but they eventually get there.

The only pair of brooks I own are a black cerakote pair I keep in my center console and lend out to friends if they are in need of pair. I've yet to see any real wear on them going on 3 years, then again I don't wear them that often but still something you may want to consider.

Is that you?
BigCoB on O-Review, you can find his photography work on Flickr

Back