• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Airwave Display Version Question

Dbninc

Something Clever
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
North of NYC
Purchased this Airwave off of eBay recently. I figured it was a used or try-on pair, probably with non working electronics, which would be fine for displaying on my Airwave Goggle Display Stand:

E7128D62-7529-4710-84DF-6AD3E125E720.jpeg

However, when I received it, there’s no electronics in it at all! The HUD part I could see on the outside of the goggle in the listing has nothing behind it:

989AD049-32C4-43D0-A6A7-C86736B6CE24.jpeg

643DA698-6EAD-4ACE-916E-1EF2423AB044.jpeg

The funny thing is, the side has the opening for the equipment:

4E3B215C-D139-4F46-8D45-AB6410483998.jpeg

So I assume this must be an actual display model meant to go on the Airwave Stand? Would the lens still be a legit lens? There’s a plastic cover on the inside of the lens, is that normal for display models? Or is this just a normal Airwave that’s missing electronics?

Last edited:
So I answered my own question by opening a new airwave I picked up recently. This is not a display model, just a regular one with the electronics missing.

The new one has a plastic sheet covering the inside of the lens as well, I guess it’s to protect the fog resistant coating. The plastic “arm” and recon symbol on the outside has nothing to do with the electronics inside. Its probably just for aesthetics.

The eBay one is definitely going back.

Side note, be careful putting lenses into the airwave; the sides of the lens will permanently scratch the rubber/coating/paint on the goggle.

Last edited:
Just an FYI the app is no longer supported essentially bricking the majority of the functionality of the goggles. Recon as a company no longer exists after being purchased by Intel.

Just an FYI the app is no longer supported essentially bricking the majority of the functionality of the goggles. Recon as a company no longer exists after being purchased by Intel.
I’m aware, I just like them. I only use the music and phone call functions anyway, the altitude and such are part of the goggle so can still be used if the gps unit works.

Latest Posts

Back