• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anodized titanium color chart 9 thru 90 volts

I'm seriously messing around with everyone with that photo. Sorry. This makes me cry to say, but I don't know how I did it. And worse. The eye sockets that had that color are no more, and I did have both sides done the same way. But that was done during the times I was still experimenting with my anodizing. So I was "practicing" with my mars parts rather than the plates, because anodizing my mars was always the goal. I was shooting for a light purple in the low 70's when the color in the photos came up by accident. I did like it enough to take photos of it. But it was done on sockets that had very little shine on them, because keeping whatever color that came up wasn't the plan. I was still trying to get nice even colors when that happened, and didn't even get the color I was looking for. So I actually had a little disappointment in them. I did wish that happened on a shinier pair. Maybe I would have kept it. Even the purple stems and bridge got changed when I was able to nail down solid colors. Those pieces turned into the blue mars I did.

View attachment 831868View attachment 831872
Dang, you are the second person to say that, the other member who got that pearly finish was also unaware how he got it, seems like it is a usual “happy mistake” when begining to anodize stuff.
No worries though, if you ever get the magic formula to that color I’d love if you could share it, I think it will bring some super nice color and new life to some frames (e wire titanium, crosshair ti, or a ti watch), they all would be dope!

Aloha O-community. Some of you know I've been anodizing. But when I first researching things, I noticed I could never find a comprehensive chart showing 'ALL' the colors. After doing this, I now understand why. Some colors, like all those in the 30 volt range, look similar to one another. Some colors are a blend of two colors and are just ugly. Judge for yourself now. These are all polished titanium plates that have a decent 7-8/10 shine on them. So if your anodizing an X-metal with an awesome shine, it may look a little lighter than what you see here. I stopped at 90 volts because that is the last color I can get to consistently with my power supply. I did reach 91 volts. But it took a while.
This is just one chart that I took pictures of at different angles. I don't have good photography lighting. So I was trying to capture what light I had, so hopefully the color progressions can be seen clearer.

View attachment 831355View attachment 831356View attachment 831357View attachment 831358View attachment 831359View attachment 831360View attachment 831361View attachment 831362View attachment 831363View attachment 831364View attachment 831365View attachment 831366
Hi!! How much time did you submerged the parts to achieve each color?

Hi!! How much time did you submerged the parts to achieve each color?

The etch I was using is actually whink rust remover, and it'll strip your finish in seconds. So I had to dilute my mixture to almost a 70-30 mix (water-Whink). And I dipped my parts in for only around 5 seconds. Right before bubbles start to appear. Just so you know, there are better etch products out there that won't ship to Hawaii. If you have the means, I suggest finding a better etch product like Multi-etch or Titan-etch.

Aloha O-community. Some of you know I've been anodizing. But when I first researching things, I noticed I could never find a comprehensive chart showing 'ALL' the colors. After doing this, I now understand why. Some colors, like all those in the 30 volt range, look similar to one another. Some colors are a blend of two colors and are just ugly. Judge for yourself now. These are all polished titanium plates that have a decent 7-8/10 shine on them. So if your anodizing an X-metal with an awesome shine, it may look a little lighter than what you see here. I stopped at 90 volts because that is the last color I can get to consistently with my power supply. I did reach 91 volts. But it took a while.
This is just one chart that I took pictures of at different angles. I don't have good photography lighting. So I was trying to capture what light I had, so hopefully the color progressions can be seen clearer.

View attachment 831355View attachment 831356View attachment 831357View attachment 831358View attachment 831359View attachment 831360View attachment 831361View attachment 831362View attachment 831363View attachment 831364View attachment 831365View attachment 831366
This looks like a lot of work for a great reference, nice job

Thank you guys, for all the kind words, and sorry about the hiatus in my own projects. Been extremely busy at work. The OT is taking a physical and mental toll right now. And I'm still looking at another two to three months before things should slow down.

So can somebody explain the steps you do? I am planning to do my motor exhaust 🤗. Anyway I would love to practice first! If I understand correctly, the color will not stay for long? Or do you have to cure it? Thanks!

What I can't understand is these Dart stems were anodised in this shade of Red & available way back but doesn't seem to be able to be replicated atm.
I would be up for a frame done in this shade.

1596885648-43211900.jpg

What I can't understand is these Dart stems were anodised in this shade of Red & available way back but doesn't seem to be able to be replicated atm.
I would be up for a frame done in this shade.

View attachment 892188
My limited knowledge on this is the possible color ranges are determined by the metal makeup itself.

The X Metal frames being a Titanium base, the red Spectrum isn’t possible for this metal.

The red customs shown are cerakote and automotive paints applied.

Back