• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Brand new Sutro Custom sunglasses where the lens doesn't fit properly :-(

That's too bad you only got a refund. I had an opposite experience lately. I bought a pair of Targetline glasses at 50% off that arrived with a blemished lens. Contacted Oakley via email, they refunded me my money and told me to keep the glasses. Who would say no to that offer?
I have an Latch Alpha that absolutely didn’t fit me. Paid full price so I sent it back. Got a refund and the glasses were returned to me. So I gave them to my woman. 😛

I have an Latch Alpha that absolutely didn’t fit me. Paid full price so I sent it back. Got a refund and the glasses were returned to me. So I gave them to my woman. 😛

I've had similar situations occur for me.

I had a twoface show up with one of the lenses only half inserted. They had just screwed down the lower frame and bent the lens. I sent them a picture and they just sent me a new one. When I asked if I should send the other frame back, they told me to keep it. So I ended up with 2 Matte Moss frames and just picked up a set of replacement lenses from the parts and service portal.

I had another one just over a year ago or so. I ordered the crystal black Samuel Ross Wind jacket because it was on sale for $99. When I received it, they had shipped it in a box about half the size of the actual glasses box and smashed the box flat. I sent them a picture just so they knew how crappy their mcdonough ga warehouse is. They contacted me via email. I asked if there was any way I could just get a replacement box because the glasses were fine. They said no but a few days later I got a shipping notice from them. They just shipped me a new pair and, once again, didnt want the old one back. I just sold the other one on ebay.

Its happened a few other times as well. Maybe its just because I'm a good customer IDK

I've had similar situations occur for me.

I had a twoface show up with one of the lenses only half inserted. They had just screwed down the lower frame and bent the lens. I sent them a picture and they just sent me a new one. When I asked if I should send the other frame back, they told me to keep it. So I ended up with 2 Matte Moss frames and just picked up a set of replacement lenses from the parts and service portal.

I had another one just over a year ago or so. I ordered the crystal black Samuel Ross Wind jacket because it was on sale for $99. When I received it, they had shipped it in a box about half the size of the actual glasses box and smashed the box flat. I sent them a picture just so they knew how crappy their mcdonough ga warehouse is. They contacted me via email. I asked if there was any way I could just get a replacement box because the glasses were fine. They said no but a few days later I got a shipping notice from them. They just shipped me a new pair and, once again, didnt want the old one back. I just sold the other one on ebay.

Its happened a few other times as well. Maybe its just because I'm a good customer IDK
Goodness knows I’ve spent enough money on the website this past year🤣 It’s nice when stuff goes in our favor for a change.

@MicahS I'm not sure your experience is the same as @Inkkoonce - I get the impression the glasses were perfect, but simply did not fit him, which is why I can't understand why they sent them back to him, as presumably they were entirely resaleable.

@MicahS I'm not sure your experience is the same as @Inkkoonce - I get the impression the glasses were perfect, but simply did not fit him, which is why I can't understand why they sent them back to him, as presumably they were entirely resaleable.
Oakley never picked up the package I sent them on my own dime. 😜 Return to sender:)

I’m surprised this issue has lasted so long, usually they are good about helping out. At least I’ve had decent interactions. Other than ordering items they say are in stock but the order still gets cancelled lol.

It’s crazy that I have 7 Sutro OCP a bunch of OCP lites and haven’t had an issue :/

Luck of the drawer I guess sometimes - I had previous really good interactions before this instance, I wonder if they have maybe just bought in a new crm system, and are relying on it heavily, when it isn't actually working properly.

Perhaps if I had just been quiet and waited I would have gotten a replacement pair in a few weeks or months, but the issue was I had no idea what was going on, and confusing e-mails along the lines of 'We were returning your item to you as we were unable to process your return' only added to the confusion, as clearly that never happened!

Maybe the fact they were custom made it more complicated, as I know (Although I am surprised still) that various parts in certain colours come in and out of stock seemingly randomly - so I suppose if you have a problem with a pair, the odds are by the time it is returned, or even by the time it is made, those specific parts and colour combinations may well be out of stock, to come back into stock - who knows when?
I did ask the question of them why a certain part was available in one colour one day and not the next, and the reply basically said there is no way of knowing when a specific part or colour will come back into stock, you simply have to keep checking to see if the colours you want are in stock - seems a bit odd to me, and I don't recall that being the case when I ordered my Custom Radar locks, or half jackets a good few years back.
I thought custom meant they would make them to order, not sure if that is something else th
at has changed recently.

On the subject of getting lucky, I did end up with thathose custom half jackets for free.

I think they had somehow managed not to add tax onto the site, or it had been removed, so I (and may others) thought they were just having a sale - placed orders, and then a few days later they mailed everyone to say they were being cancelled as they had made a mistake on the website.
I thought that was fair enough, and thought nothing more of it, but it seems lots of people complained, so they decided from a PR perspective to honour the orders, but the problem was when they had cancelled the orders, it had wiped the payment details, so they made I do not know how many custom sets of glasses, and sent them out for zero money.
I think the prices were up on the site for 1 or 2 days before they twigged.

Last edited:
In another twist to this plotline, just to put Oakley in a better light.

As I mentioned, they issued a return for the earsocks, and then a flurry of e-mails happened afterwards, one said the return could not be processed, and then another said a refund had been made, and then I actually had a personal e-mail to say they were not going to need me to send back the earsocks, and would (and did) simply refund me, which was a nice touch I thought. Luckily I was shoddy at getting my posterior in gear to send them back, as the initial return being raised, versus the refund were around 10 days apart, so I could have easily sent them back during that time, and normally I would have done.

Additionally, I end up £10 better off, as I went through a UK cashback site called topcashback, although initially Oakley declined it for some reason, so I had to log a ticket with TCB, but it was re-instated, and in the intervening period it has changed to payable!

I'd much rather have just had a working pair of glasses though - oh well.

Latest Posts

Back