• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Just Another Mag Switch Page

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Last updated by cacatman 30th June, 2018

If you have any useful tips or information about mag switches, leave a comment!

Introduction

I love mag switches. They definitely deserve a place in Oakley's Top 10 Hall of Fame. Perhaps even Top 5!

They're relatively rare now, but boy, are they a lovely example of what Oakley used to stand for....

Bold - The angular lines of the orbitals make it, IMHO, one of the most beautifully designed Oakleys they ever produced.

Innovative - The nose hinge design makes not just a bold design statement, but also adds to comfort due to flexibility. It's design seems to borrow from the Juliets and the Fives 1.0 (ear rubbers). The lenses are slightly smaller than a Juliet.

Temperamental - Because they're made of magnesium, they react with liquid and discolour/breakdown, which isn't really too awesome, especially in rain or if you're like 99.9998% of people who sweat!!!

Fragile - I had a friend accidentally drop one onto concrete from about 4 foot up. It smashed into a thousand, nay, a million pieces!!! Try not to lend yours to uncoordinated groomsmen like this guy.

Impractical - Nearly impossible to replace lenses without damaging the frame. Basically, you have to cut the lenses out of the frame. Is ACTUALLY impossible to replace nose rivets/rubber shocks.

Lightweight - Just a measly 36 grams

Because J.J. could! - The industry said you can't make sunglasses out of magnesium. So Jim Jannard told them to shove it, and went right ahead, anyhow.

Colourways Produced
Only 3 Colourways were produced between 2001-2004:-
1. Dark Carbide with Black Iridium
2. Pearl with Fire Iridium
3. Ti Copper with Ice Iridium (has a smooth texture to the frame)
(4.) Apparently there was a Bone with ruby lenses for athletes.

What Are They Made Of?
Magnesium, but coated with ceramic.

When to Wear?
Best for cool days ie. when you're not sweating, and when it's not raining!

Why I Like Them?
  • They look cool.
  • They're literally cool....to the touch
  • Fit well due to nose bridge flexibility AND spring hinges AND light weight
  • Few manufacturers make magnesium frames

Parts Available?
Nup....so don't break 'em!!!

But if you do, salvage as much as you can, especially the rubbers. Pictures of a damaged pair are here and here and here.

Even @dr.chop who is a master painter/custom work artist won't touch them according to his last post here.

How to Change the Lens
  • Magnesium frame is NOT flexible like O-matter or even titanium. Be very careful.
  • Some people have suggested warming the frame....which I WOULDN'T recommend because Magnesium is one of the more "reactive" metals around. Cue to 1:10.
  • Do not try to slide the lenses out with a screwdriver. You will stuff them.
  • Cut the old lens out of the frame....carefully. @N Jenner suggests that they can't be removed unless you drill the centre of the lens out first.
  • Pop the new lens in from the BACKSIDE.
  • @BriP has an absolutely superb guide here!! Check it out!

Rubbers
  • Should be easier to change. The hard part is tracking down a second hand set of rubbers. Try @Jacob Carstens or @akaKJB. They're the only people I know who have broken Mag Switches.
  • Be careful changing them. According to @BriP they will "snap like a twig".

Nose Rivets/Nose Hinge Repair
  • Sorry, you're fresh out of luck. The rivet pins are hardened plastic and are fixed and are a different size to normal X-metal rivets. The rubbers are also a different size.
  • I postulate that the reason the rivets are plastic is because metal rivets would "react" with the temperamental magnesium.

Standard Oakley Mag Switches
IMG_6317.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG

Custom Polished Mag Switch!!
@N Jenner has some instructions on how he custom polished his. Wow. Just Wow! See it here (along with his instructions).
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

Philippines Custom
Thanks for the heads up, @Brit@KSA!! This is awesome!!
IMG_20180630_113009[1].jpg

Last edited:
Did the "ultimate" annoy you? I've removed it because it does sound presumptuous.

Nope, not at all. This is some real good stuff, I was not trying to be a smart ass. There is very few threads dedicated to mags, since they are a pain to maintain in mint condition. I'm a fan of them, and wish there was replacements parts for them to be able to revive them.

Nope, not at all. This is some real good stuff, I was not trying to be a smart ass. There is very few threads dedicated to mags, since they are a pain to maintain in mint condition. I'm a fan of them, and wish there was replacements parts for them to be able to revive them.
My apologies. I assumed you were having a go at me because of your popcorn emoji (and the fact that I seem to attract some negative feedback on the posts I've spent time writing and that this thread doesn't really have that much useful info except to say, "they're cool, and you can't fix or customise them")!!

Latest Posts

Back