• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

chrome dipped

Doc chop sent all his stuff out for plating.. actually at the time he did the big batch a lot of people lost their frames. I've seen and owned some of the plating chops company did. It was awful as most of them had the chrome fail within a few wears.
Correct me if I am wrong but chrome plating metal and 'chrome' plating plastic are two completely different processes....

Plastic has a thin layer of metalisation applied under a vacuum - usually aluminium? Hence the bond not being as strong as the chemical process of chrome plating metal.

Fortunately, my pair still has the coating perfectly intact...

Correct me if I am wrong but chrome plating metal and 'chrome' plating plastic are two completely different processes....

Plastic has a thin layer of metalisation applied under a vacuum - usually aluminium? Hence the bond not being as strong as the chemical process of chrome plating metal.

Fortunately, my pair still has the coating perfectly intact...
Yes the process is completely different.

Pvd over plastics..

Chrome plating over metal

Last edited:
Try @Larry, he’s from NJ. I got mine vacuum plating done in the Philippines by his friend then ship to Canada. I had this for 2 years now and I don't have any issues.

394AF231-70C8-4304-90D7-5F2968223D83.jpeg

BBF5D24E-493F-46BB-A2F9-1DCBC8B1D369.jpeg

If you want to strip chrome from plastic without hurting the original material you can use laundry detergent.....let them soak for a day or so .....we use this method on plastic models to remove that finish.

Latest Posts

Back