• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Clear Photochromic (black iridium) vs Prizm Low Light Lens

confused since it appears photochromic offers better UV and blue light protection given the lower light transmission of 23% despite being clear vs the rose colored prism low light having 75% transmission

This is according to the Oakley website.

Clear photochromic-(black iridium) 23% transmission
Prizm Low light-75% transmission (base color is rose)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just got the photochromic flak 2.0 glasses and cant complain except that they do not darken behind my truck windshield . Other than that l like them . I wear them for work in inside and out all day long . How long before they do not work of peal , should I say clean every day with Oakley cleaner ?

they wont darken because your windshield filters UV light, and photochromic lenses are UV light activated.

I tried both.

"in front of the computer"
Well, Prizm Low light potentially might help. 'Potentially' because they are filtering yellow light, not specifically blue.

"I reckon the photochromic lens offers some protection against blue light"
No way, man.

Btw photochromic lenses definitely provide less contrast. They're just more grey in fact.

confused since it appears photochromic offers better UV and blue light protection given the lower light transmission of 23% despite being clear vs the rose coloured prism low light having 75% transmission
what lens for led screen blue light filtering?
See an older thread where I discuss the blue light blocking electronic screen lens topic.
You are mistaken regarding light transmission #'s. That's the percentage of the whole visible light spectrum that passes through the lens. Not the percentage of blue/violet part of the spectrum that passes through. The #'s mainly tell you how dark the lens is. You are looking for which lens tint blocks the most harmful blue light. That's based more on lens tint color.
In the thread, the yellow-orange lens seem to block the most harmful blue light. Like HI Yellow or Persimmon. It's possible that the new Prizm Low Light may block this part of the spectrum as well. I don't own it yet

I would say Prizm Low for use on a screen.

They are all prone to peeling unless you keep them clean the whole time.

I use various low light lenses as I am someone who jst cant stand modern LEDs - the blue light things! And in the UK we get plenty of low light days too!

Persimmon is another good alternative for use on a screen.

Prizm Lowlight definitely protects against blue light.
Do all of Oakley's lenses filter Blue light, or just the Low Light? Of course, you wouldn't use Black Iridium indoors at a computer, but I have wondered as of late about which lenses filter the Blue.

I dont think Oakley makes BlueLight blocking lenses at this time. Maybe their prescription ones if some one knows. I know Fuse makes Blue Light and Gaming lenses you can swap into Oakley frames. I put a set into some Square Wire II (2014) that I got from a guy that were previously prescription lenses. I really like the Gaming lenses and Blue Light both. Pretty cheap if you need something like that and have a pair in mind to convert its worth a look.

Do all of Oakley's lenses filter Blue light, or just the Low Light? Of course, you wouldn't use Black Iridium indoors at a computer, but I have wondered as of late about which lenses filter the Blue.

Yes - all lenses filter harmful blue light as they did from 1984 onwards.

Yes - all lenses filter harmful blue light as they did from 1984 onwards.
You'd think they'd advertise that in their marketing information - seems like they may be missing an opportunity, especially given the amount of people working from home these days.

I just got this email from Oakley for prizm gaming with blue light filtering

Screenshot_20200915-154524.png

Back