Bulldog896

Oakley Enthusiast
Is it possible to actually plate them and not just paint them? I want the bright copper with eventual worn in look that copper gives. The frames I want to do are polished so I would think plating would not be hard.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses
Register to Not see this ad

Nortika

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lafayette, Co
Is it possible to actually plate them and not just paint them? I want the bright copper with eventual worn in look that copper gives. The frames I want to do are polished so I would think plating would not be hard.
It is possible and there are a few customizers here that have done that to x-metals that can help you or lead you in the right direction

@SouLFuLFroG
@zwc0442

Oakley Sydney

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
@Bulldog896 - If case you did not see it, Nucchem has one for sale now. I believe he placed his photos of that pair earlier in this thread.

TheDukeOfIce

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
@Bulldog896 to your question on the proces.

The frames would get sanded/blasted.
Then a sacrificial Tin coat would be applied.
The Copper would then be plated atop of the Tin coating.
(Similer process if you wanted 14k gold applied)
So you can use any finish of donor frame.

I am not a metallurgist, but have been researching the process for some custom work I have in mind as welll.

You mentioned you like the patina, you can get the copper unsealed, and it quickly start to oxidize and age.
Vinegar should restore the fresh copper look.

Nucchem

If you are not falling, you are not learning.
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Dublin, Ca
@Bulldog896 - If case you did not see it, Nucchem has one for sale now. I believe he placed his photos of that pair earlier in this thread.
I sold a pair of XX that had the stems and nose bridge copper plated. The pair of Juliet’s I have are a bronze not copper. But thanks for the tag.

New Threads