• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Copper plating a pair of polished Juliet's

Bulldog896

Oakley Enthusiast
Is it possible to actually plate them and not just paint them? I want the bright copper with eventual worn in look that copper gives. The frames I want to do are polished so I would think plating would not be hard.

Is it possible to actually plate them and not just paint them? I want the bright copper with eventual worn in look that copper gives. The frames I want to do are polished so I would think plating would not be hard.

It is possible and there are a few customizers here that have done that to x-metals that can help you or lead you in the right direction

@SouLFuLFroG
@zwc0442

@zwc0442
Man does excellent work.
9A3EBDF0-1D94-4053-82E9-264C2ADDE2DC.jpeg
E1F8EC2E-2AF1-4FB2-8A1F-09D55BC1C6DB.jpeg
2AC703C0-DAAB-4AE8-89E3-59FBE7993F3D.jpeg

@Bulldog896 - If case you did not see it, Nucchem has one for sale now. I believe he placed his photos of that pair earlier in this thread.

@Bulldog896 to your question on the proces.

The frames would get sanded/blasted.
Then a sacrificial Tin coat would be applied.
The Copper would then be plated atop of the Tin coating.
(Similer process if you wanted 14k gold applied)
So you can use any finish of donor frame.

I am not a metallurgist, but have been researching the process for some custom work I have in mind as welll.

You mentioned you like the patina, you can get the copper unsealed, and it quickly start to oxidize and age.
Vinegar should restore the fresh copper look.

Latest Posts

Back