• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crosslink earsocks deteriorate issue

eric2323

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys, i am new here but i am Oakley fan. Owned many pairs of Oakley mainly prescription frames..

I currently own the Crosslink and the earsocks deteriorate problem is widely known, for myself i have already change many pairs of earsocks for my 3 years old pair and I wonder is there a permanent solution? I am thinking of modding the rubber earsock by covering it with those rubber shrinking tube use in electronic to protect it. Any other creative ways to prevent the deterioration problem? Or any alternative earsock with better rubber material?

I'm subscribing to this thread. Just in the last two years, Oakley no longer makes rubbers for the Chainlink. Linegear doesn't make them, and I have found no aftermarket company who does. Wonder if they are interchangeable with any other frames?

Managed to use tube shrink to protect my crosslink temple
shUbYK2.jpg

Thats a great solution. How does it feel? Decent? What type of heat shrink did you use?

It feels normal. Definitely should last much longer then the default rubber socks...I am those normal type of heat shrink.. mine is brand WOER... think most other brand is ok too... get those 8mm or 9mm diameter one... just nice..

Daily use a little diluted dish soap on a dish towel or hand towel, run that puppy back and forth a few times. Your skin and body chemistry is probably wearing the docks out faster than most. You want to rinse and way that salty sweat off!

I just wipe down the frame and socks with a dedicated microfiber cloth sprayed with a little of the lens cleaning solution.
So far, so good; no sock deterioration, but I'm mostly talking "old" (pre-2007) socks...
I wonder if new socks are a different composition?

I tried electrical shrinkwrap on my prescription Sculpt 6.0 - it looks fine initially but sweat eventually causes it to degrade much like the OEM rubber. Maybe it depends on the quality of the shrinkwrap, but it only lasted a few weeks for me. It was cheap no-name tubing, maybe the reason!

I resorted to buying OEM replacement earsocks, but they too have now degraded. I can't find any more.

Next step for me is to try aftermarket Whisker earsocks, they're the same length (~63mm) and hopefully they'll fit onto the stems.

I don't know if there is a comparison table anywhere for interchangeability of earsocks, or even just the lengths?

Latest Posts

Back