• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Bruce Irons Hijinx

So, are they held in place with glue or anything...or is there a snap fit? Meaning, do you have to use any sort of adhesive to reinstall, or is it some sort of pressure fit. Sorry for so many questions....just curious.

No problem dude. The Icons have a glue like adhesive on them. I just pushed them back on after I painted them. The whole process only took a few hours, so they just stuck right back on. For the next set I am looking into new glue options. I'll let you know what I find. :cool:

great color combo!!

i don't really like VL lenses... i had a pair of VLs and the vision isn't fantastic. Also, they're thinner compared to the OE lenses. Nevertheless, great setup u have there!

No problem dude. The Icons have a glue like adhesive on them. I just pushed them back on after I painted them. The whole process only took a few hours, so they just stuck right back on. For the next set I am looking into new glue options. I'll let you know what I find. :cool:

the adhesive tape behind the icons are good for roughly abt 2 swaps. anymore, you probably gotta DIY replace them with normal double-sided adhesive. best way to pry the icons out, is to gentle heat the icons to loosen the adhesive, and then pry. this is for those who are afraid of damaging the frame, icon etc. for me, i just use a small flathead screwdriver as well. =)

Yep. After some looking at Homeless Depot, I found a very tiny screwdriver set that I used to pry out the Icons. I did however, put a couple of small depression marks on the arms on the first attempt, but the second one came out a little easier. They are barely noticable, but it still pissed me off...even though I thought it might happen. I hate being right all the time! LOL I am going to look for something else that I can use as a buffer between the Icons and the arms for the next custom set, which is already in the works :wink:

The best way to do it is to get a thin piece of plastic so you are able to lay in on the frame against the icon. Warm up the icon with a hairdrier or hot air gun used to strip paint off will help free off the adhisive. Then gently apply pressure against the icon with the small screwdriver levering down against the palstic. This should stop you damaging the frame arm. When refitting the icon, again warm up the tape as this will make it more sticky & should secure tighter to the arm when it starts to cool down. This is how i removed & refitted badges & the name plates on the rear of my cars. Hope it helps you

The best way to do it is to get a thin piece of plastic so you are able to lay in on the frame against the icon. Warm up the icon with a hairdrier or hot air gun used to strip paint off will help free off the adhisive. Then gently apply pressure against the icon with the small screwdriver levering down against the palstic. This should stop you damaging the frame arm. When refitting the icon, again warm up the tape as this will make it more sticky & should secure tighter to the arm when it starts to cool down. This is how i removed & refitted badges & the name plates on the rear of my cars. Hope it helps you

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys :thumb:

Latest Posts

Back