• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Mag Switch

Screenshot_20200126-075012_Samsung Internet.jpg

I was fortunate to be able to pick up these beauties from @YakuzaFloralGangsta - thanks brother! Mag Switch is an amazing frame. About Juliet size, fantastic coverage, extremely comfortable fit.
With 36 g (vs. 42 g for X-Metals), they are not quite as light as I expected since Magnesium has a density of only 1.8 g/ccm (Al: 2.7 g/ccm; Ti: 4.5 g/cmm). But admittedly, this frame is much thicker than X-Metals and both, Mags and X-Metals, are alloys of course, rather than pure Mg or Ti. You can also tell Mg has a much higher heat conductivity than Ti - these get cold AF.
Absolutely love them.

View attachment 696516View attachment 696517

Obviously, this is a custom with refurbished black ceramic coating, red icons and clean lenses. Maybe you guys can help me identify the latter. The coating looks like deep red Ruby, w/ some purple hue in the red and no green in the yellow regions (like Fire).

View attachment 696518
However looking through them they seem to have an Amber base lens, like Fire Iridium. (top: shot 2005 Square Wire 2.0 Fire lens; bottom: Mag Switch)

View attachment 696519
They are certainly not Rubys, which have a gray base. Since the Ruby coating filters out the lower frequencies of the visual spectrum, the remaining light seems blueish at times. (top: 2000 Juliet Ruby Iridium; bottom: Mag Switch).

There were Mag Switches w/ Fire of course, but these lenses here are insanely red from most angles (much more than it seems in the pictures). It's almost like they are Ruby coating on a Fire base. Any ideas - just a freak batch or 3rd party?

You beat me by about 5 minutes getting these. Enjoy, they look sweet!

I think there is some terminology confusion with base and hue (not just here but in general)

The base of a lens is the color of the polycarbonate blank prior to adding iridum and other coatings.

The HUE is the color looking through the lens AFTER the iridium is added.

The iridium effects the color, as kronin demonstrated here Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance? by sanding off the iridium.

Ruby does in fact have a grey base, and when you take the iridium off you can see that. Dann also has ruby listed as a grey base.

But it does have a blue hue after the iridium is applied.
My hero

Back