• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom of the month program (discussion)

It would be a shame for people to not be able to enter what they had customized for them , even if it wasn't their hands that did the physical work.Yet the vision and concepts were and are their own.

Of course the artist should be recognized but it would be a contest between few if this was disallowed. I can compare this to a car show. It is more common to see customs that multiple people have had their hands in, yet the owner is rewarded.

In the end , I just found it fun. Plain and simple. Amazing to see peoples ideas and visions brought to reality and displayed proudly for the world to see. I think the majority of forum members share the same sentiment. I hope we can all work together and make something happen.

Big credit to all the customizers out there , you know who you all are !!

Yep. I see both sides... the creativity of the concept and design, and the craftsmanship of the execution. Sometimes these are the same person, sometimes not. Not sure if this is for everyone, some of my customs are requested by someone specific, some are on spec.

I think we won’t get it right either way, and should draw a line in the sand some place, give it a try, and be willing to adjust based on constructive feedback.

Same for all the other guidelines set up for the COTM.

It would be a shame for people to not be able to enter what they had customized for them , even if it wasn't their hands that did the physical work.Yet the vision and concepts were and are their own.

Of course the artist should be recognized but it would be a contest between few if this was disallowed. I can compare this to a car show. It is more common to see customs that multiple people have had their hands in, yet the owner is rewarded.

In the end , I just found it fun. Plain and simple. Amazing to see peoples ideas and visions brought to reality and displayed proudly for the world to see. I think the majority of forum members share the same sentiment. I hope we can all work together and make something happen.

Big credit to all the customizers out there , you know who you all are !!
I agree with you. There has been discussion of doing two separate competitions, one for artists only and then another for clients. I would be fine with them being all together so long as the artist was plainly noted and given credit for the work. In the past no credit was given to the artists many times, it was just a popularity contest. Plus we've already had members admit that votes were solicited. The entire thing was a big unscrupulous joke! Hopefully we can do it better this time, and the right people be rewarded for their work and/or creativity...including clients that creatively develop a concept, even if they may not physically inact it.

Open the contest to all. Entries will be assigned a number and remain anonymous until a winner is declared. Most of the work I do is for others using their original ideas. They deserve credit too. I have finished first 2 times, once with my original idea (Feb '20), once with someone else's (a tie with Zach, April '20). I have no problem with someone entering something I did.

Would definitely have to be a separate category due to the judging.
I wouldn't think it would be fair to compair a very nice painted gascan to a custom hand made item.
But like I have said before any an every idea on the subject is appreciated.

Latest Posts

Back