• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Different Types of Half-Jacket 1.0 Lenses?

andr3

Oakley Expert
Hamburg
Got myself some Persimmon lenses for riding in the dark and rain with my Half-Jacket 1.0s. Turns out they don't fit the frame. The Persimmons are just slightly bigger than the Tungstens and have a different interface. I don't think they're fake or anything. I saw them mounted on a Half-Jacket 1.0 frame and they came in the box w/ pouch and papers. They were manufactured July 2002, while my Tungsten Lenses were made December 2005.
Did Oakley change the Interface / anybody ever come across that?

2020.01.24_16.30.57.JPG
2020.01.24_16.32.46.JPG
2020.01.24_16.33.26.JPG
2020.01.24_16.34.02.JPG

Mh, I don't think so. Here are the seller's pictures mounted on his frame. I can't imagine pink looking good on me, so I just got the lenses. The box is labeled Half Jacket Replacement Lens Kit as well (picture in the initial post).

03.JPG
04.JPG

[...] They prob do fit you just have to use some force and bend the bridge a little
To get them in. Some fit a little tighter than others. The notches on the persimmon lenses look correct

Unfortunately not. If you align them perfectly on the nose side, this is what they look like on temple side. The sickle shaped cut out on the tungsten is a bit deeper.

If push comes to shove, I can file the persimmon down. I just had no idea there were different generation interfaces within Half Jacket 1.0.

2020.01.26_11.10.29.JPG

Unfortunately not. If you align them perfectly on the nose side, this is what they look like on temple side. The sickle shaped cut out on the tungsten is a bit deeper.

If push comes to shove, I can file the persimmon down. I just had no idea there were different generation interfaces within Half Jacket 1.0.

View attachment 696514

They arent always perfect and there are 2 different gens of half jackets(or 2.5 if you ask some). That's why they may fit in a later frame but not an earlier frame.

I had a set of flak lenses that were bnib and I couldn't get them to fit into my frame for the life of me. So I sold them and the person who bought them had no issues fitting them.

Not everything is so black and white.

I had a newer pair of lenses like that once. Don't forget to bend the frame by pushing on the top middle section and pulling on the outside from the bottom upwards to open the lens slot slightly and they should pop right in. Or at least I was able to get mine to pop in that had that slightly different shape. I think they did a slight revamp of the frames on the last few years of the HJ1 to prevent the lenses from poping out as easily. But I'm pretty sure you'll get them in, sometimes you feel like you're going to break them but remember that won't happen very easily. They are intended to be tough!

Back