• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

DIY ... 1 EYE-CON

Now that’s some amazing work! I’ve missed the original 1 Eye Con story so I had to look it up but that makes your creation even more original 👍
Nice boats BTW, also amazing work there

Was thinking one day why hasn’t anyone since 2014 made a fan piece , not sure if it’s a possible 3d printing shape as I’ve no experience with that media but I can work g.r.p. / fibreglass so thought I’d have a go. I like a challenge.
The plan was to make it in work ( I work for Princess Yachts ) in break times using tools at work.

As there’s only that one picture and no diagrams with size’s it was all guess work (apparently there is one in FHR if anyone can confirm? ). So I needed a start point, measuring 3 different frames across the front from arm to arm that gave the width as an average. From there looking at the picture I guessed arm width/length and front orbital height which annoyingly is elliptical for added hardness. Had the rough measurements down then needed to make a mould to layup from.
An isopropanol tube seemed a decent size winding elephant tape around to get the diameter. This was covered in Teflon sheet (not shown) then 8oz glass fibre Matt /resin layed up for arms and 14oz for front face.

When cured the fibreglass was released from the tube giving the basic rough ( very rough ) shape. At this point jan 5th ,uk went into another lockdown sending me home shielding/ furloughed due to health history. Pita as I lost access to all the tools lol. So took the mould home to finish. Other than a bench belt sander which was invaluable in shaping the piece other tools were just wet/dry paper 320, 80grit discs and a dremel with sanding wheel and a 3mm burr head for holes. Basically lots of sanding ,guessing and shaping by hand.

When I had everything as good as I could it had 2 coats of primer a light sand and 4 coats of Lexus Lucerne silver ( as that’s what I had to hand ) and is a near spot on Fmj match. the icons were hard to find in oval and large enough so settled for hijinx/antix to get the size right. The eye on lettering was impossible for me to recreate so I used standard letraset as a cheap compromise. I reckon if Oakley actually made this they’d have left it off anyway. The hardest part was always going to be the lense at a 10cm diameter... spent a while looking at options, anything that would fit. Kids toys , household items anything I could scavenge a suitable piece from . Nothing lol. Ended up ordering a smoke perspex dome from ebay. If I ordered a 10cm dome the curve would have poked to much if that makes sense so I ordered a 150cm with a view to cutting to size. Actually worked out pretty good. Held in place in frame with silicone sealant.

Enjoyed making it. Is it right , no , some of the dimensions i know could be better. Happy as a first attempt. No2 could be quicker.
Totally useless bit of fun.😎

View attachment 831668

View attachment 831669

View attachment 831670

View attachment 831671

View attachment 831674

View attachment 831675

View attachment 831676

View attachment 831677

View attachment 831678

View attachment 831679

View attachment 831680

View attachment 831681

View attachment 831683

View attachment 831684

View attachment 831685

Always stunned at the talent on this Forum. That’s wacked mate !!!

@Jon the Don badly needs that. His wife really enjoys it when he sticks out in the crowd !!!

:cool-33:

I don’t think that’s a good idea. He’ll want to immediately clean it first
588bfc9ca248107a213b1cd11c6ced8b.jpg

Latest Posts

Back