• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

does clothing designer brand names sunglasses use OEM Oakley?

Happy Hopping

Oakley Beginner
brand name like Versace, they designed some very stylish looking sunglasses. But all these years I stick w/ Oakley because of its research. The way that the lenses filter out UV a, UV b, etc.

But as far as the design of the sunglasses is concerned, some of these designer name did come up w/ sunglasses that looks better than Oakley. Is there any brand that is OEM Oakley?

if not, what kind of R&D does these clothing designers have on sunglasses?

so the making of all these lens, are all the same? then the price is just a matter of marketing from various designer brand name then.

Who's Luxottica? How does it becomes such a massive sub-contractors from so many designers?

so the making of all these lens, are all the same? then the price is just a matter of marketing from various designer brand name then.

Who's Luxottica? How does it becomes such a massive sub-contractors from so many designers?

They have alot of money and they buy all the good companies.

No. Not all the lenses are the same. Oakleys are better.

if not, what kind of R&D does these clothing designers have on sunglasses?

Designers like Versace, Armani, Chanel, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, etc simply contract out to Luxottica to slap their names on sunglasses. Cheap sunglasses + Designer names = huge profit margin. Oakley is not excluded from this approach. The research Oakley does on UV rays isn't proprietary. It's all just marketing BS. Do they make a good product? Yes, I believe so. Are they groundbreaking? Not at all. At least not since Luxottica took over. Oakley lenses seem to be held at a higher quality than others under their umbrella. Wonder if this was part of the deal when they bought Oakley. I'd bet Jannard has stipulations in the sale that Oakley IP stay under the brand and not transfer over to their other brands to ensure "Oakley" as a brand stays alive and successful.

And to answer your question about who Luxottica is: They are the largest eye wear manufacturer/retailer who has multiple labels under them; Oakley included. They are based in Italy. Jim Jannard sold Oakley to Luxottica in 2007 to the tune of $2.1 billion. They also own Sunglass Hut and Lenscrafters.

Luxottica

Designers like Versace, Armani, Chanel, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, etc simply contract out to Luxottica to slap their names on sunglasses. Cheap sunglasses + Designer names = huge profit margin. Oakley is not excluded from this approach. The research Oakley does on UV rays isn't proprietary. It's all just marketing BS. Do they make a good product? Yes, I believe so. Are they groundbreaking? Not at all. At least not since Luxottica took over. Oakley lenses seem to be held at a higher quality than others under their umbrella. Wonder if this was part of the deal when they bought Oakley. I'd bet Jannard has stipulations in the sale that Oakley IP stay under the brand and not transfer over to their other brands to ensure "Oakley" as a brand stays alive and successful.

And to answer your question about who Luxottica is: They are the largest eye wear manufacturer/retailer who has multiple labels under them; Oakley included. They are based in Italy. Jim Jannard sold Oakley to Luxottica in 2007 to the tune of $2.1 billion. They also own Sunglass Hut and Lenscrafters.

Luxottica

Ya im sure there were some serious contractual stipulations when the deal was made and it wouldnt suprise me if XYZ technology was included in that

Designers like Versace, Armani, Chanel, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Tory Burch, etc simply contract out to Luxottica to slap their names on sunglasses. Cheap sunglasses + Designer names = huge profit margin. Oakley is not excluded from this approach. The research Oakley does on UV rays isn't proprietary. It's all just marketing BS. Do they make a good product? Yes, I believe so. Are they groundbreaking? Not at all. At least not since Luxottica took over. Oakley lenses seem to be held at a higher quality than others under their umbrella.

I did manage to dig out that Luxottica under wikipedia. Well, Oakley is very comfortable to my eyes. Since their lenses is still higher quality, I can stick w/ them.

it's puzzling that Luxottica bought Oakley, and yet they didn't standardize high quality lenses to other designer fashion brand names. You would think if someone buys a pair of Armani, they expect just as good, if not better quality lenses than Oakley, as they must paid more money

You would think if someone buys a pair of Armani, they expect just as good, if not better quality lenses than Oakley, as they must paid more money

upload_2018-11-5_12-29-43.png

You have to understand fashion. Styles come and go with seasons. Designer sunglasses are not exempt to that. Just stop by Nordstrom Rack or any other discount fashion retailer. You'll find buckets of last season's sunglasses, Oakley included. Quality lenses are not what sell sunglasses. The designer brand name does. You have to remember, the people here on this forum is not the norm.

You have to understand fashion. Styles come and go with seasons. Designer sunglasses are not exempt to that. Just stop by Nordstrom Rack or any other discount fashion retailer. You'll find buckets of last season's sunglasses, Oakley included. Quality lenses are not what sell sunglasses. The designer brand name does. You have to remember, the people here on this forum is not the norm.

This. Those designer brands cycle through designs much more frequently. Major waste of resources for the <$200 range meant to just make a quick buck. I mean when you see them in that literal discount pile (not even properly displayed), you realize how cheap they feel.

Oakley does fall in there, I think the women's line especially because hardly any designs seem to have staying power.

And yeah, the majority of consumers fall in and out of trends. It's kinda messed up, but the eyewear industry counts on people who have in the moment tastes and are awful at taking care of their eyewear.

Back