• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Double wide aluminum short

Boz

Oakley Beginner
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I did some some upgrades and modifications to this cabinet. I see it any where tho . 60” tall x 141/8 deep X 321/4 wide outside 291/2 inside . I took it completely apart sanded cleaned it . Replace acrylic.sides and top . Unlike the large tower it has an acrylic top (it had no lighting) up graded locks . Was sanding the Icon away so I added 3D topper bolted on . On sides added 3D printed Icon . There were no doors on front got aluminum plate and cut added handles and rivets . For the back I ordered mirror to size . I was hoping it was going to shine bright but paint top coat was wrong I was to far in been working on it 2weeks. For light LED Light tape . Replaced 1 shelf not thick enough. Need work on that . Got mega double aluminum today
IMG_3799.png

Nice job, that came out nice.

How long did it take to polish the exterior of the case to get that shine to it??
It took several hrs longer that it should have . Only because I was experimenting with different techniques. Tried few different polishing compounds at different times . The only way is to 400 then wet 600 then use a buffing wheel and rouge . 2 different ones . Some may be happy before that much . Dewalt orbital.sander as much as possible 400 . Took awhile to find 600 in anything. Sanding sponge was also big help around the rivets . Sponge was most useful around those .a triangle attachment for oscillating tool for corners .another mistake was using epoxy enamel
To clear coat . I didn’t have enough. Crystal clear enamel . It gives slight tint . Found an aluminum Oakley case at local flea market yesterday 1/2 hr this morning happier with it . This shorter cabinet has way more of the rivet bolts also . I never found them . Replaced few acrylic panels fixed the doors . Meguiars mirror glaze fine-cut-cleaner got some heavy scratching out .

It took several hrs longer that it should have . Only because I was experimenting with different techniques. Tried few different polishing compounds at different times . The only way is to 400 then wet 600 then use a buffing wheel and rouge . 2 different ones . Some may be happy before that much . Dewalt orbital.sander as much as possible 400 . Took awhile to find 600 in anything. Sanding sponge was also big help around the rivets . Sponge was most useful around those .a triangle attachment for oscillating tool for corners .another mistake was using epoxy enamel
To clear coat . I didn’t have enough. Crystal clear enamel . It gives slight tint . Found an aluminum Oakley case at local flea market yesterday 1/2 hr this morning happier with it . This shorter cabinet has way more of the rivet bolts also . I never found them . Replaced few acrylic panels fixed the doors . Meguiars mirror glaze fine-cut-cleaner got some heavy scratching out .
If you have all materials and power tools probably 12 hrs including disassemble reassemble.

Back