• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"Editing Rights" Upgrades for Premium Members

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hi!
These are likely "pipe dreams". Nevertheless:-

I'd like to see "editing rights" to threads I've started be able to be given to other members here (who have Premium membership, of course). This would make updating original posts easier if I'm not around to update my info threads e.g. I'd like to give @Chris A Hardaway or @SiRacer420 admin rights to certain threads e.g. Donor Lens Guide Thread and others. It could be time and thread limited for protection.

I'd also request for the site to give "editing rights" to the original poster to be able to lock their threads (in the discussion areas e.g. collections areas so that their threads remain clean) and also be allowed to delete off-topic comments from their own threads (with the ability for those who's comment has been deleted to be given the opportunity to "appeal" if their comment has been wrongfully deleted e.g. in the situation of a sales thread where the OP is lying about the condition of a piece etc).

While I'm at it, would like to request that somehow the exchange areas be searchable by a user's country (that they have put in their profile information). This would make it easier for non-Americans who have to pay expensive duties/postage and who would prefer to buy from within their own country/region.

P.S. @OakleyBoss, you stated some time ago that you were working on an upgrade to the Exchange area whereby there was an "Index" for items being sold so that people didn't have to continuously bump their threads. Bumping is a source of contention, particularly if there are tons of items separately listed by one person. What is the status on this upgrade?

Last edited:
Hi!

I'd like to see "editing rights" to threads I've started be able to be given to other members here (who have Premium membership, of course). This would make updating original posts easier if I'm not around to update my info threads e.g. I'd like to give @Chris A Hardaway or @SiRacer420 admin rights to certain threads e.g. Donor Lens Guide Thread and others. It could be time and thread limited for protection.

I'd also request for the site to give "editing rights" to the original poster to be able to lock their threads (in the discussion areas e.g. collections areas so that their threads remain clean) and also be allowed to delete off-topic comments from their own threads (with the ability for those who's comment has been deleted to be given the opportunity to "appeal" if their comment has been wrongfully deleted e.g. in the situation of a sales thread where the OP is lying about the condition of a piece etc).

P.S. @OakleyBoss, you stated some time ago that you were working on an upgrade to the Exchange area whereby there was an "Index" for items being sold so that people didn't have to continuously bump their threads. Bumping is a source of contention, particularly if there are tons of items separately listed by one person. What is the status on this upgrade?

Interesting idea, almost a delegation feature of your edit rights. I like it, have to look at how it will work and all the nuisances but interested in gaining others opinions here - would you enjoy giving someone else the ability to edit your threads?

On the upgrade note - its still a work in progress, likely looking at early 2019. Essentially it's an overhaul of the entire site and the platform, with the exchange feature you referenced being a small part. It's exciting, and also a significant effort with all of the customization this site has had over the past 7+ years.

Hi!

You could use a dedicated group account for this purpose...and give the uname and pass to folks you trust. Similar to the Member map

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Interesting idea, almost a delegation feature of your edit rights. I like it, have to look at how it will work and all the nuisances but interested in gaining others opinions here - would you enjoy giving someone else the ability to edit your threads?
Most people wouldn’t and they have no need to. If there was limited access to certain threads, that would be handy to me and would take some load off the moderators.

I notice that previously active members who started threads for serials numbers for models have since become inactive. It then becomes hard to update information if no one has admin rights.

You could use a dedicated group account for this purpose...and give the uname and pass to folks you trust. Similar to the Member map

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I thought about that as well. But I think it would be a hassle for people to have to log in and out of different accounts. In the end, they’d probably not do it. Also, it’s not very discriminating. It’s either an all or nothing type situation.

The reason why the member’s map works (and it hasn’t had a massive uptake) is because you only enter your data once. And that’s it. It’s a one off situation.

On the upgrade note - its still a work in progress, likely looking at early 2019. Essentially it's an overhaul of the entire site and the platform, with the exchange feature you referenced being a small part. It's exciting, and also a significant effort with all of the customization this site has had over the past 7+ years.
You are doing a great job. Adding Editing rights, and a few more features in the exchange area is a great idea.... @cacatman thank you for nominating me, I mean I do follow that thread you speak of closely anyway lol.
No rush. Just a +1 input and agreement.

You are doing a great job. Adding Editing rights, and a few more features in the exchange area is a great idea.... @cacatman thank you for nominating me, I mean I do follow that thread you speak of closely anyway lol.
No rush. Just a +1 input and agreement.

Is that a shirt youre holding up in your pic? What do i have to do to get an Optical Champ shirt?!

Back