• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Electroplating Juliet Frames

Deadly_elegance

Oakley Beginner
Hi i'm new here i have a spare carbon black juliet frame that's badly beaten up, almost 20% of the whole frame are pretty washed up and faded badly acould see the titanium inside, one day i came accross this local jeweller and asked him if he could worked on my frame, he said it's his first time to do it and he thinks it can be done probably gold plating the whole frame but he told me that when its finish i might have problems tightening the orbitals as the gold plating might chip from the frame, had anybody done this already, i really want to salvage the frame and this could be an excelent way if it works. Thanks in advance

I was thinking powdercoat. That would open up endless possibilities as far as colors go. I doubt it would be too expensive but I would worry about the flew coupler connection and adding any thickness to the ear stem.

I'd go with the polishing mode... looks really cool and I don't think it would be expensive, heck as time passes I'd be in the hunt for a beat up and cheap polished frame to get the stems

Powdercoating would be really unique and different, maybe even water transfer in certain patterns.

I've been contemplating doing a flat carbon X Metal.

polishing might work, but being a pioneer and stepping into the electroplating world, well that would be something i have never heard any one do to x metals. My opinion do it and take pics to prove it!

polishing might work, but being a pioneer and stepping into the electroplating world, well that would be something i have never heard any one do to x metals. My opinion do it and take pics to prove it!

My concern is that if it doesn't work, could I still strip the plating and start all over again, i don't want to permanently ruin my frame. . .

You can't do it directly onto the existing finish as it would just come off. You would need to sand blast the rest of the carbon off. Gold also will not be stable on titanium so you will need to nickel plate first, then do the gold on top of that.

You can't do it directly onto the existing finish as it would just come off. You would need to sand blast the rest of the carbon off. Gold also will not be stable on titanium so you will need to nickel plate first, then do the gold on top of that.

yes i know, i am planning to dip the titanium frame into pant stripping solution such as stripsol, to take off the rest of the carbon then send the bare titanium frame to plating, well if nickel then gold would be the process will it be too thick to even fit the pieces together?

well if no one did it before, i guess there's only one way to find out. . .

Back