• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

EVZero Ascend with new Prizm Road Black lens

According to Oakley, the Prizm road black is supposed to be 11% LT with a rose base, that is almost the darkest they offer regarding LT. I believe 10 is the lowest they have in the current offerings for any lens still in production, minus the snow variant that claims 5.5%

I also saw this 11% LT for PRB on the Oakley website. What puzzles me is that on the picture that @MicahS provided PRB doesn't look even close to 11%. Am I just seeing this wrong or is something else going on here?
road-comp-jpg.594501

I have the same situation with Prizm Deep water Polarized (PDWP) which is supposed to be 12% LT, but to my eyes it doesn't feel like 12% like Prizm Sapphire Polarized (PSP) does, PDWP doesn't even come close to 12% LT. I can wear PSP on bright days and feel fine but I cannot wear PDWP on bright days and feel fine. PDWP gives me a headache on bright days if I don't wear a baseball cap to block more light.

I've compared PDWP with Prizm Ruby Polarized (PRP) which is 17% LT and to my eyes it feels that the 17% LT PRP blocks more light than the 12% PDWP.

I don't know why some lenses are rated with a low LT percentage but to my eyes it feels very different.

As far as the lenses not seeming dark enough, it could simply be that road and dwp are prizm sport lenses. They are designed to reduce and enhance specific wave lengths.

Prizm ruby and sapphire are both prizm everyday, which have a more flat color profile, and different base tints. Bronze and gray respectively.

Honestly I've never put much weight in the LT data that has been supplied from Oakley. Over the years different percentages have been advertised for the same lens on their own site. Just go with whatever you find works best for you.

As far as the lenses not seeming dark enough, it could simply be that road and dwp are prizm sport lenses. They are designed to reduce and enhance specific wave lengths.

Prizm ruby and sapphire are both prizm everyday, which have a more flat color profile, and different base tints. Bronze and gray respectively.

Honestly I've never put much weight in the LT data that has been supplied from Oakley. Over the years different percentages have been advertised for the same lens on their own site. Just go with whatever you find works best for you.
Has there been any third party testing on LT?

According to Oakley, the Prizm road black is supposed to be 11% LT with a rose base, that is almost the darkest they offer regarding LT. I believe 10 is the lowest they have in the current offerings for any lens still in production, minus the snow variant that claims 5.5%

Prizm Road Black

• Light Transmission: 11%
  • Contrast: Increased
  • Base Lens Color: Rose
PRIZM Road

• Light Transmission: 20%
  • Light Conditions: Medium Light
  • Base Lens Color: Indigo
Prizm Trail Torch

• Light Transmission: 35%
  • Base Lens Color: Rose
PRIZM Black

• Light Transmission: 11%
  • Light Conditions: Bright Light
  • Base Lens Color: Grey
why do they look so close in the pic yet the prb is like 50% lt to the roa d?? Odd

i know this is an old post but was wondering why that comparison pic is so close in view yet the LT of the road black is almost 1/2 of the standard road? I love the road lens in general for riding and i keep them on indoors or at the gym when working out they are not dark at all..and consider the road black but wonder if they wouldnt be as versatile for me- as i said i like wearing them to work out at the gym when i ride my bike there and back home no need to take them off( evzero stride so very light)- can anyone who has both comment more?

Back