• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First Time Cutting Lenses

bxd0519

Oakley Beginner
So the story goes like this. I have an old pair of metallic blue minutes that I call a "knock around" pair. Love the frames but the oakley logo is starting to wear on the bridge so I use them for things like going to the beach where I would never take one of my prized pairs. The lenses are worn to the point that it is noticeable when I wear them so..... I had some time on my hands so I thought I would try my hand at cutting a pair of lenses myself. I want some Ice lenses for them, but finding oakley ice lenses for these is a task, and having Dr. Chop cut some for my knock arounds does't make financial sense. I just so happen to have an extra m-frame ice lens, so I thought maybe I could cut it up myself. There was no way I was going to test to see if I could do it with the M-Frame lens, so I decided to run to the closest dollar store and pick up a pair to experiment on. Whats the worst that could happen? Lose a couple bucks and waste some time. I grabbed a couple pairs from the store and headed back home. Got my Dremel, attachments, and supplies together, threw on the safety glasses and went to town. Taped, traced, cut, sanded, buffed..... then I took a look at the finished product and thought 2 things. 1 - Not too shabby for my first time, and 2 - If Dr. Chop could see this he would probably have his face in his hands shaking his head. So I popped the lenses in and what do you know, they fit and looked pretty good! Its going to take some refining and I will probably cut a couple more before I take the tools to the Oakley lens, but I surprised myself and had a pretty good time in the process. I snapped a couple pics (below), and then noticed my old pair of minutes glaring at me as if to say "get these garbage dollar store lenses out of me". I immediately popped them back out. So if you were wondering if YOU can cut lenses, give it a shot, and with some practice you might be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
be careful taping off the Oakely lenses. The one time I used tape before cutting some M frame lenses, I finished and when i pulled the tape off it took the iridium coating with it :-/. So Now i don't use any tape just to be safe. Now it was an old M frame lens, so I'm not sure how well the new ones will work, but still.. careful. Looks Great Though!

Thanks for the info on the tape. I wonder if one type of tape is the best choice? Anyone with experience please chime in!

Thanks for the info on the tape. I wonder if one type of tape is the best choice? Anyone with experience please chime in!

Maybe look for some low tac masking tape from a hardware or decorating store as this should stick to the lens but be easier to pull off when finished. Those lenses are looking good for a first atempt. Looking forward to seeing the Oakley lenses fitted.

be careful taping off the Oakely lenses. The one time I used tape before cutting some M frame lenses, I finished and when i pulled the tape off it took the iridium coating with it :-/. So Now i don't use any tape just to be safe. Now it was an old M frame lens, so I'm not sure how well the new ones will work, but still.. careful. Looks Great Though!

that's just terrible. glad I don't run into those problems haha...

Latest Posts

Back