• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fixing Cracks In Frame?

I wanted to fix my broken New Frogskin. I looked into trying to make a mold of the stem and trying to find some plastic to mold my own replacement stems. Later I saw that people can do a 3D scan and print plastic parts via 3D printer. From what I've read, people can print plastic parts using ABS plastic, polycarbonate, or nylon.

Several have been popping up on eBay for $25-80, it would probably cost a lot less to buy a new pair.

I don't necessarily have experience fixing O-matter frames, but since they are still a form of plastic, I'd personally try a plastic cement...similar to the type used to build plastic scale models, etc. It basically "melts" the plastic on either side of the joint a little bit and turns the ends back into "liquid plastic" so to speak. Then, as the glue evaporates, the two halves reharden into one piece. Most epoxies or 'super glues' don't penetrate like that, I think, and they just sit on the surface. Depending on how big the crack is, you can use the really thin liquid plastic cement that's applied with a brush and just put a little dab around the existing crack. Capillary action will draw it into the crack. Let it sit a minute or two, then squish the two sides together a bit more and hold for a few more minutes. ...just an idea.

Latest Posts

Back