• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 Rx Distortion/Blurring On Outer Edges

Right. Makes sense
What's interesting is Oakley true digital lenses are compensated to reduce power at furthest edges out. So really adjusted to reduce distortion no matter how big. This guy is just used to wearing the same glasses so long his brain is used to his old minutes rx.
So what he's really doing is refusing to give his eyes time to adjust.

Why wouldn't our eyes feel better in something we wore 10 to 20 years? It's best to upate your RX ever 1 to 2 years so your eyes don't go into shock w a change.

The actual machines have changed to be CNC machines. They are 10 times plus more precision. So there is no "old style" lap tools at Oakley's lab. These machines cut faster, more precise, etc etc. So the old way doesn't exist at a lab like Oakley. Maybe if you get a refund from them. You can use that to buy flatter frames from their (your opticians) non Oakley lab.
It's not as simple as just getting a refund though. I'd still be 100€ out of pocket for the frames I had to buy because Oakley no longer sell any frames that fit my prescription.

Minutes were 8.75 curve too. But they weren't as big. Distortion gets worse the further to the edge, the wider the frame is
Yet there is no noticeable distortion or blurriness with the Minutes, even in the right lens which I'm told is pretty much the same as my current prescription. The lens is also a 1/3 to 1/2 as thick, compared to the Flak lenses.

What's interesting is Oakley true digital lenses are compensated to reduce power at furthest edges out. So really adjusted to reduce distortion no matter how big. This guy is just used to wearing the same glasses so long his brain is used to his old minutes rx.
So what he's really doing is refusing to give his eyes time to adjust.

Why wouldn't our eyes feel better in something we wore 10 to 20 years? It's best to upate your RX ever 1 to 2 years so your eyes don't go into shock w a change.
If they didn't make me feel sick, then I could try to get used to them.

Also changing to a flatter design seems pointless to me. What's the point of using sunglasses if the sun can get behind the lenses.

It's not as simple as just getting a refund though. I'd still be 100€ out of pocket for the frames I had to buy because Oakley no longer sell any frames that fit my prescription.

Yet there is no noticeable distortion or blurriness with the Minutes, even in the right lens which I'm told is pretty much the same as my current prescription. The lens is also a 1/3 to 1/2 as thick, compared to the Flak lenses.

If they didn't make me feel sick, then I could try to get used to them.

Also changing to a flatter design seems pointless to me. What's the point of using sunglasses if the sun can get behind the lenses.
How many years did you wear that last RX? You may never like future changes.

I would highly recommend checking out Lasik. Just to get that -5.00 rx down to -1.00, -2.00 or even less!

Just a few random questions.

What was you old rx compared to the new?

Do your new lenses have “O” engraved in the corner?

Are you certain that they got your measurments right?

I’ve had good experiences and bad experiences with Oakley labwork. Wayyy back I had a few pairs of M-Frame Implant lenses done, and then a few years later some Radar Implant lenses. All of them had the 8.75 base curve like yours. They never did manage to put them into the shields without significant chipping which I was told was normal, and they all exhibited moderate to severe fishbowling.

In retrospect, the PD my initial optician had given me was way off. They had me at 62, and my most recent glasses have all been at 64-65. While I was able to adapt to my flatter glasses with those measurements, high base curve wrap frames are a lot more sensitive to that and I suspect that was what was causing at least some of my problems.

Bumping up this old thread.

I have quite a few of Oakley RX: Prizm Black Prizm Road, Prizm Saphire, Prizm Road Black.

My latest addition to the family was a Prizm Road Black. I immediately noticed the blur at the edge, and, more importantly, that the PD distance was wrong. Long story short, my reseller ultimately confessed they switched the distances from left and right, wrote off the first pair they got from Oakley, and ordered a new one. The second pair was perfect, except for the blur/distortion at the edge.

What puzzles me is that:
  • except for the Prizm Saphire, all my RX are Oakley Holbrook, and only Prizm Black Road exhibits this weirdness
  • …granted, the Holbrook has some “bending” which could explain
  • but… why does the Prizm Road and Prizm Black does not show this blurring/distortion?
For reference, my prescription:

-4.5/+0.5/100°
-3.5/+1.25/90°

What do you think? At this point I'm highly confident this is not a manufacturing process and that I'll have to “live with it”, but I'm curious what cause it, so at the very least I won't buy any other frames/lenses with the same behaviour.

Bumping up this old thread.

I have quite a few of Oakley RX: Prizm Black Prizm Road, Prizm Saphire, Prizm Road Black.

My latest addition to the family was a Prizm Road Black. I immediately noticed the blur at the edge, and, more importantly, that the PD distance was wrong. Long story short, my reseller ultimately confessed they switched the distances from left and right, wrote off the first pair they got from Oakley, and ordered a new one. The second pair was perfect, except for the blur/distortion at the edge.

What puzzles me is that:
  • except for the Prizm Saphire, all my RX are Oakley Holbrook, and only Prizm Black Road exhibits this weirdness
  • …granted, the Holbrook has some “bending” which could explain
  • but… why does the Prizm Road and Prizm Black does not show this blurring/distortion?
For reference, my prescription:

-4.5/+0.5/100°
-3.5/+1.25/90°

What do you think? At this point I'm highly confident this is not a manufacturing process and that I'll have to “live with it”, but I'm curious what cause it, so at the very least I won't buy any other frames/lenses with the same behaviour.
Is this a new prescription? Or same prescription as the others? It could be the axis or cylinder (astigmatism) that you're doctor prescribed it off. If you aren't used to it in 2 weeks w daily wear ask for appointment w your eyes doctor.

Is this a new prescription? Or same prescription as the others? It could be the axis or cylinder (astigmatism) that you're doctor prescribed it off. If you aren't used to it in 2 weeks w daily wear ask for appointment w your eyes doctor.
Same prescription for all of the Oakley I compared. This is definitely NOT an issue with my eyes needing to “adjust”.

I can clearly see a blur on the edges. And it affects only the Prizm Road Black.
More specifically, I declined the first Prizm Road Black I got because I guessed he PD was slightly wrong (and it was wrong, they mixed the distance for left and right when they ordered from Luxo). This first pair also exhibited the blurring on the edge, as the second pair I got (with the “correct” PD).

Latest Posts

Back