• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Guidelines for Local sales

TheWannaBe

Resident Lurker
Premium Member
O Universe
I am starting this thread because i suggested to another member to do it and since i dont know if that will happen i thought i might as well.

Here is the format.

Open discussion about the process of local sales (offer up, craigslist, let go etc).

Please try and be concise in your points. (Makes it easier to put in guideline format)

Example: if there is a local sale, the first person to message the seller has the right to the item unless an agreement cant be meet.

Here is my beef though. If a good deal is found, and you have to spend 5 minutes checking the forum to see if it has been claimed you will likley miss the opportunity. Personally i feel like any deal made outside the forum is not subject to the forum. Obviously if a special request comes from a member to you about a local item in your area that is different. Maybe that is a guidline we could agree on?

Anyway. Thoughts?

Update:
From what I can gather based on all the posts the rules as it relates to local sales are as follows:
1)There are no rules.

Last edited:
What u need to do is post a sticky to the entirety of our discussion/arguements in the other thread .. so those looking to chime in have background information of what occurred bwteeen you and I..

You’re leaving out certain events that occurred to paint a more rosier picture of what you ultimately did in the end

I think local sales as much as eBay are fair game but once a deal has been made it is pretty underhand to message sellers and tell them they could have sold it for more that shows a little saltiness that someone got a good deal and you missed it. That being said it is a fact that money talks and if you want something bad enough there is nothing to stop you using those tactics on those platforms. I guess it comes down to conciensce and personal codes of honour. If you had known for certain that you were taking that piece out from under a fellow forum member would you still have done it? Either way it's a personal decision and I don't think the forum can regulate third party transactions it's just not doable. Your just as likely to get sniped by a random collector locally as you are a forum member.

you’re absolutely correct in saying that done , paid for deals run the risk of being snaked away when it comes to certain selling platforms.. eBay has rules and monitors behavior like this though to help govern and maintain a fairness to its system.. offerup, Craigslist , Mercari ..... letgo.... not so much

Had OP not posted the thread I may have never found out exactly what happened to the watch I paid for through PayPal.... but ultimately it came to light and to my attention and that’s where we are now .....

you’re absolutely correct in saying that done , paid for deals run the risk of being snaked away when it comes to certain selling platforms.. eBay has rules and monitors behavior like this though to help govern and maintain a fairness to its system.. offerup, Craigslist , Mercari ..... letgo.... not so much

Had OP not posted the thread I may have never found out exactly what happened to the watch I paid for through PayPal.... but ultimately it came to light and to my attention and that’s where we are now .....
If you take the small silver lining to this cloud at least you know you need to peruse a refund rather than hanging on waiting for the watch to arrive

If you take the small silver lining to this cloud at least you know you need to peruse a refund rather than hanging on waiting for the watch to arrive

True... this was just last straw in a sh*t day..

Got side swiped when lady merged into my lane this
morning, found out family friend passed away suddenly , had fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards...

End of the day still blessed and thankful though

True... this was just last straw in a sh*t day..

Got side swiped when lady merged into my lane this
morning, found out family friend passed away suddenly , had fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards...

End of the day still blessed and thankful though
Ouch that is a bad day hope your luck changes fast man.

We all know how sales sites work whether it's eBay, Craiglist, Gumtree and the many more there are. I have had items paid for and then woken up the next day to find a refund has been made. There is a difference, though, if a refund isn't made to the refundee...

My observations.

1. They are all being constantly scanned globally by enthusiasts.

2. If you aren't on a deal within minutes of it being listed it probably isn't a deal...

3. It will be impossible to have a fair system of first come, first served. If anyone claimed 'rights' to an item they would be simply making it known to others.

'Local' people cannot claim rights because you cannot define local. Is someone 2 miles away more local than someone 5 miles away? Is someone 5 miles away more local than someone 105 miles away that is prepared to travel to pick up in person?

4. If you get shafted on an item, prepare to feel a bit sick for a couple of days and then get on with your life.

5. Accept that everything is 'fair game' until it is in your possession. All is fair in love and Oakley. This isn't my rule, just the way it works unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back