• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half x titanium replacement hinge

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
Thanks to @BriP for his broken half x hinge, we've finally got a prototype replacement hinge core made out of solid titanium. Here it is anodized blue to prove it's real titanium

PhotoGrid_1462936528766.jpg

tested in a frame yet? curious to see how you can alter the shape to improve the endstops etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, it's currently installed on a frame undergoing thorough testing. The shape of the hinge can alter how far they open up. Springs are functioning as per normal and can also be tensioned to provide softer or stiffer bounce

Yup, it's currently installed on a frame undergoing thorough testing. The shape of the hinge can alter how far they open up. Springs are functioning as per normal and can also be tensioned to provide softer or stiffer bounce

How long do you think it will be before they become available, and what kind of price tag do you anticipate?

i don't know if there's sufficient interest to get large quantities made. Milling titanium is not cake walk and I personally believe that type of hinge should never be used on x-metals - it's not designed to sustain that sort of load. There are other spring hinge designs that are sturdier than this design

Back