• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

High Index Oakley Prescription Lenses. Does Oakley retail fill prescriptions for older frames?

admiralpepega

Oakley Enthusiast
I have a pair of old Oakley OO eyeglasses and I want to put prescription lens on them. Unfortunately, my prescription is very strong, from -8.00 to -8.50 for my right eye, which means I have to use high index lenses. Oakley, however, doesn't tell you the refractive index. They only have 3 different thickness levels with their own branding. How slim are the O Authentics Extra thin?

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.25.23 PM.png

Like most brands Oakley uses high index 1.60, 1.67 and 1.74. Mitsui Resin from MitsuI Chemicals is used for these high index lenses. So MR8, MR10 and MR174.

Does more expensive prescription lenses mean better quality lenses? Are all 1.74 index lenses equal in quality? I am trying to understand why some are more expensive than others.

No not all equal in quality. Stuff like the quality of resin used and especially the quality of the coatings matter greatly. I recommend talking to an Oakley authorized prescription dealer to discuss your options.

Latest Posts

Back