• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I hate changing lenses on X-metals

I've done literally thousands it's not a big deal now.........XS......lens installation is always a bitch.....

I've done literally thousands it's not a big deal now.........XS......lens installation is always a bitch.....
If you've done thousands... sure. If you do it once every few years it's a bitch. And even when it gets done you have to redo it so the gaskets sits properly and even then it sometimes doesn't look right.

It's a pain in the ass.

DWP Romeos though... worth it. But still.

For the Orbital Gaskets, trick I’ve found is:
get the screw started
keep it loose
take your gloved hand, rotate the gasket until it’s in the correct position
Tighten the screw — holding the gasket in the correct position.

I don’t F with ear stem replacements, just send those out to the customizers....those will drive one to lunacy

I don’t F with ear stem replacements, just send those out to the customizers....those will drive one to lunacy

I take my kid's washable glue stick and dab a bit on both sides of each of the stem washers. Stick 2 of them together, then on each side of the stem. Use a toothpick to line up the holes. Let it dry a bit. Then I put the stem carefully in the hinge, toothpick again to make sure the holes are aligned. Then put the screw in. Give it a wash to rinse out the glue, tighten yada yada.

Aaaaaaaaaaand it's still a bitch. So yeah, I agree. Pay someone to do it.

Orbital gaskets I've never had much problem with other than the OCD I have with my R1s where I will spend 10min making sure they are perfectly aligned and not squashed, but not loose.

And I'm with everyone else on XS. I always have issues getting XS lenses in, they never want to go in easily. I get them out fine, but it's like physics are rewritten as they never want to fall in the exact same way they fall out....

Last edited:
I take my kid's washable glue stick and dab a bit on both sides of each of the stem washers. Stick 2 of them together, then on each side of the stem. Use a toothpick to line up the holes. Let it dry a bit. Then I put the stem carefully in the hinge, toothpick again to make sure the holes are aligned. Then put the screw in. Give it a wash to rinse out the glue, tighten yada yada.

Aaaaaaaaaaand it's still a bitch. So yeah, I agree. Pay someone to do it.

Orbital gaskets I've never had much problem with other than the OCD I have with my R1s where I will spend 10min making sure they are perfectly aligned and not squashed, but not loose.

And I'm with everyone else on XS. I always have issues getting XS lenses in, they never want to go in easily. I get them out fine, but it's like physics are rewritten as they never want to fall in the exact same way they fall out....
Don't use glue....use grease

Don't use glue....use grease

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have admitted to that 🤣. But I was really pissed that night when I decided to try my hand at changing the washers for the first time lol. I dropped them in the carpet so many times.... Later on I took it apart again and they had gotten washed well. Those purple glue sticks have 0 staying power.

But I used some Vaseline the next go around. I don't usually have any grease on hand. Then I later had a brainstorm that you can thread some dental floss through everything to keep it all together while putting the stem in. Get it in place hold the hinge together tight, unthread and slap the screw in. A whole new world opened up before me.

Last edited:
DWP Romeos in titanium. At least they came out looking sweet. I think the gasket got torn on one side though. I'll have to replace that or fiddle with it.

Either way, they're still awesome.

R DWP.jpg

Back