• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Kids GPS devices

8J8

Oakley Expert
Does anyone have any recommendations for a kids GPS smart watch? I’m looking for something for my 6 and 9 year olds to be able to track their location. Having the ability to make calls from it isn’t necessary but isn’t a deal breaker either way. I’ve looked briefly at the Gizmo from Verizon which can be added to my cell phone plan, but wanted to see what other parents are using.

Thanks for your input!

The problem is, you're buying for a future few years. A kid that is growing up isn't going to want to wear a smart watch unless it is fun for them too. And, what does fun mean for a kid? It means an Apple Watch.

So, if you want them to wear it, you'll need to get something that regularly holds their attention whilst providing you the ability to track your location and the solution for that is only one watch really. The upside is you'll get support for several years - the other watches on the market, I can't say the same for.

One thing to keep in mind though is that watch battery isn't quite there yet to utilize GPS tracking. If/when you use it, you'll kill the watch's battery quickly.

So, I suggest the path of a cheap android smartphone & utilize Google Maps tracking ability. It probably will end up cheaper in the long run anyways.

Back