• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens recommendations for trekking Coastal Portuguese Camino in Summer

StephTrekking

Oakley Beginner
Greetings! I love Oakley lenses and I am looking to order a new Rx sunglasses (probably the Pasque frames) for this summer's 6-week trek on the coastal Camino in Portugal and Spain.
The terrain is a mix of roads, sidewalks, wood boardwalks, cobble, and some dirt paths/mountains trails. Conditions will range from sunny to partly cloudy. Lots of ocean and moutain views.
I currently have a pair with Rose Gold Prizm Polarized, and while I like those, I'm looking for something that perhaps isn't polarized (so I can read screens), is still going to filter glare, and is not too dark so they still feel good in slightly cloudy conditions. Does such a lens exist?
I am intregued by the Road and Trail lenses, but concerned they might let in too much light. Which ones should look at? The choices can be a little overwheming.
Does anyone have a good comperensive list of lenses updated for 2023?

Thanks!

Prizm tungsten or prizm field would be good starting points. Maybe prizm dark golf- depending on how light of lens you are wanting. Id try a few lenses on before paying for Rx lens if that is a possibility.

Prizm tungsten or prizm field would be good starting points. Maybe prizm dark golf- depending on how light of lens you are wanting. Id try a few lenses on before paying for Rx lens if that is a possibility.
Prizm Field looks promising, thanks! I know I should try to make it to an Oakley store...

Prizm Road is 20% VLT; I find it's not quite dark enough for direct sunlight.

Try Prizm Grey; it's 17% VLT and works well for just about anything, especially since it has a neutral tint. It doesn't have an iridium coating, if that matters to you, so your eyes will be visible. Prizm Ruby is also 17% but it has an iridium coating, though I'm not a fan of its slightly green tint.
Grey and Ruby are Prizm everyday lenses, not sport/situation-specific like Road, Golf, Trail, etc. I tend to stick to the everyday lenses for varied situations.

I'd also look at Prizm Tungsten as noted, it has an awesome bronze/sepia tint, more pronounced than your Rose Gold. Prizm Jade is the same VLT (14%) but more neutral, and unlike Tungsten, it has an iridium coating.

I don't think there's much practical difference between 14% and 17% VLT in the sense that if 14% is too dark, 17% will be, too. That's me. On the contrary, I do think the darker Prizm lenses, like 24K (11%) are too dark if the sun isn't out. So, if I had to pick one lens that would work well everywhere, it would be one of the 14-17% VLT models. Non-iridium lenses will let in slightly more light even at the same VLT rating. Prizm Grey is the lightest non-situation-specific lens.

If you decide to do polarized, also look at Prizm Daily Polarized (14%) which is one of my personal favorites, it has a wonderful rose tint.
Oakley's polarization doesn't interfere with most of the screens I use. I almost always use polarized lenses because I like the anti-glare features, being able to see through reflections on water, and the way it makes the sky look.

Charles

I see you said no polarized, but if you're going to be trekking near water DWP lenses would let you see things you wouldn't with non polarized. You would also get all the other benefits you're looking for.

Latest Posts

Back