• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens spontaneously delaminates

No ultrasonic bath and no chemicals. I have the lens cleaner kit but haven’t used it in weeks. Mostly breath digging and wiping with the microfiber bag.

The exterior surface did have very minute chips along the edge where they fit into the frame but nothing on the interior.

And no heavy drops or weight on them. I’m anal about babying my Juliets.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I’m guessing age and maybe on the drive from south jersey to north a pressure change compromised the integrity of the coatings.

No AR coating on inside, that's a hardness coating. Once it comes off you can scratch the polycarbonate with your fingernail.

This.... it’s a hard coat that’s peeled.. didn’t see any true stress fractures ...think of painting a inflated ballon and letting some of the air out ...

A culprit that a lot of people don’t know about is sunscreen ... the same chemicals that allow it to be water repellant and have UV blocking properties will eat away at the polymers in plastic.... I once smeared a brand new set of poly polar lenses with front mirror coat and also a pair of average frames and within a week or so the frame and lenses were completely destroyed...

No ultrasonic bath and no chemicals. I have the lens cleaner kit but haven’t used it in weeks. Mostly breath digging and wiping with the microfiber bag.

The exterior surface did have very minute chips along the edge where they fit into the frame but nothing on the interior.

And no heavy drops or weight on them. I’m anal about babying my Juliets.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I’m guessing age and maybe on the drive from south jersey to north a pressure change compromised the integrity of the coatings.

Sometimes extreme swings in temperature and atmosphere may due it also..... by any chance did you leave the sunglasses in the pouch but inside the car when it was super super hot ?

I never leave them in the car. And haven’t used sunscreen in months. Only thing out of the norm was a downpour on the walk to work but the soft vault was dry when I got there

I’m hesitant to say that it could be due to age, could’ve been a light application of iridium coating on the lens.

Anyways reach out to @Chris A Hardaway he’ll get you set.

Back