• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Limited editions?

alol

I am Jim Jannard...
United kingdom
I was contemplating posting this in the exchange section but especially where the Juliet is concerned, With regard to limited edition (IH, Finito Ichiro, Ducati)
They liken it for me like when a car manufacturer (particularly in Europe) is struggling for sales on a particular trim level, They either produce a limited edition or a runout spec.
These aforementioned editions seem a bit like that. Did Oakley over produce Carbon or polished frames at thar time)
Imho Carbon is the most boring of frame colours and especially with a dark lens ( i have one & even with red rubbers to brighten it up a touch it still spends most of its time jn my bottom draw
Its just like "we'll take a batch f these reserialize it as a ltd ed, we'll etch the lens and individualize the box. No one knows its a ltd edition and unless you bump into another Oakley fanatic no one else if going to be aware of what it is.

Was this dubious practice under luxottica's stewardship?

I was contemplating posting this in the exchange section but especially where the Juliet is concerned, With regard to limited edition (IH, Finito Ichiro, Ducati)
They liken it for me like when a car manufacturer (particularly in Europe) is struggling for sales on a particular trim level, They either produce a limited edition or a runout spec.
These aforementioned editions seem a bit like that. Did Oakley over produce Carbon or polished frames at thar time)
Imho Carbon is the most boring of frame colours and especially with a dark lens ( i have one & even with red rubbers to brighten it up a touch it still spends most of its time jn my bottom draw
Its just like "we'll take a batch f these reserialize it as a ltd ed, we'll etch the lens and individualize the box. No one knows its a ltd edition and unless you bump into another Oakley fanatic no one else if going to be aware of what it is.

That is a very valid point my friend.

I'm the opposite. I love carbon. I'm a metalhead. So black suits me perfectly. I'm actually wearing my black/carbon pairs more than any others.

As far as the subject matter. My opinion is that it's all just sales gimmicks.

The vast majority of the X-metal signature editions was pre-Lux. Oakley worked hand in hand with the athletes or licensed brands to finalize the color combos and was never a one sided decision. The reality is there has always been a disconnect with what collectors think should be done and what the athletes and brands would want to have representing them or would wear.

Like those ugly tricolor shirts and cheap backpacks a year ago. Slapped an XMetal logo on em. Rebranded and premium priced.

Latest Posts

Back