• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking at getting some RX Oakley's...Prizm lense worth the extra $$?

bringatowel

Oakley Beginner
Hi...I was looking at getting a new pair of Holbrook XLs with my prescription...I was looking at glassesusa at all options when I decided on the Oakley's. Want to get polarized lenses, and for that option they come out to around $202. Realized it wasn't Oakley lenses and the same pair with the polarized Oakley lenses on Oakley's site is around $200 more.

Just wondering in everyone's opinion on if it is worth double the price, or will the lenses from glassesusa be ok? I will be mainly using these for driving/lifestyle wear.

Thanks!

I wouldn't use Glasses USA unless they are using the Oakley lab. With Oakley sunglass frames, it can be very hard for other labs to get the beveling right. I've seen some real **** jobs. The RX frames are a different story. Also, you really should go to an optician to get measurements taken especially if you are doing progressive. The way the glasses sit on your face actually changes the power of your prescription, where the progressive starts, the optical center of the lens. Id use Oakley or @Chris A Hardaway because he will do it right the first time

I wouldn't use Glasses USA unless they are using the Oakley lab. With Oakley sunglass frames, it can be very hard for other labs to get the beveling right. I've seen some real **** jobs. The RX frames are a different story. Also, you really should go to an optician to get measurements taken especially if you are doing progressive. The way the glasses sit on your face actually changes the power of your prescription, where the progressive starts, the optical center of the lens. Id use Oakley or @Chris A Hardaway because he will do it right the first time
I second this information. The warranty, and finish/fit of bevel through Oakley lab is superior. I'm an oakley dealer myself so i might be able to help if you order through me. (At the slightly higher price). Oakley coatings are more durable too right @O Bro

I second this information. The warranty, and finish/fit of bevel through Oakley lab is superior. I'm an oakley dealer myself so i might be able to help if you order through me. (At the slightly higher price). Oakley coatings are more durable too right @O Bro
For the sunglass lenses, definitely.

I previously read from Optiboard.com that Oakley lenses are actually rebranded essilor lenses, as Oakley accquired by EssilorLuxottica group. Opticans there thought Oakley lenses are overpriced nowadays because they are selling at higher price compared to the same tier essilor lenses. Just FYI.

I previously read from Optiboard.com that Oakley lenses are actually rebranded essilor lenses, as Oakley accquired by EssilorLuxottica group. Opticans there thought Oakley lenses are overpriced nowadays because they are selling at higher price compared to the same tier essilor lenses. Just FYI.
True for the clear lenses, but not the sunglass lenses

Oakley lenses actually cost less than the comparable Essilor Varilux Stylistic Wrap lenses. So the optiboard people are incorrect.

Hmmm... good to know. Thanks.
I know right.
Go ask a Lepage optometrist what they charge for
Wrapped lenses
In progressive
Varilux/ essilor best brand
Premium Polycarbonate
Scratch resistances
Hydrophobic
Oleophobic
Mirror coated
Anti reflective backside coated
Compensated for wrap rx
Plus special "step bevel"
Then remember to ask for transitions, polarized, or hev blue light protection.

Don't be shocked when they say $750-850.... Oakley rx is maybe 25% less? Bundled all together. Right @O Bro

I know right.
Go ask a Lepage optometrist what they charge for
Wrapped lenses
In progressive
Varilux/ essilor best brand
Premium Polycarbonate
Scratch resistances
Hydrophobic
Oleophobic
Mirror coated
Anti reflective backside coated
Compensated for wrap rx
Plus special "step bevel"
Then remember to ask for transitions, polarized, or hev blue light protection.

Don't be shocked when they say $750-850.... Oakley rx is maybe 25% less? Bundled all together. Right @O Bro
Oakley RX in O stores Is a lot less. For progressive sunglass RX with Prizm Polarized it's $250 plus frame. For ophthalmic frames with all the coatings, transitions, and progressive it's $350 plus frame. So realistically you max out at about 550-650, which for top of the line RX lenses is not that bad.

Back