• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M frame lens

The bull

Oakley Beginner
I have the m frame 3.0 was wondering if all m frame lens fit these frames and if so can a hole be drilled in the lens to work with the locking device on my frames ? And has anyone tried this and it work thanks

The lens should fit in the frame. I believe only the m frame alpha has a different lens.

for the drilling I’m sure it’s possible to put a hole there so it would lock in but you would just risk damaging the lens.

You don’t want to destroy the coatings on the lens by drilling it sloppy. I’ve never done it but I assume it has the same risk as “cutting lenses”.

I’d say leave it to a professional who is good with modifying lenses. Unless you have a bunch of spare m frame lenses

Have you drilled these before . And why do you say it will hurt the lens
Suppose if you are in the habit of being drilled by people it probably no longer hurts, but first few times it probably did... So just imagine how the lens is going to feel.

On your actual attempt you want to sit down with your lens and plan out its future, taking proper steps to ensure she's as good as the day you got her... just tad lighter and bit more open to exploring different frame fitments. Go slow and stay in control...

You'd wanna put it down face first on something with a bit of cushion (for the pushin that's gonna happen) like foam blocks or a soft rag, so you got that backside (like if you were wearing them) inview... then to prevent any accidental penetrations aka an oopsie, you'll want to lay down a few strips of painter's tape. This will allow you to mark sharpie the point of no return, and the tape will also provide a bit for grip for the bit to grab onto something.

If quick an rough is more your style, then you might end up with a beater end result, or practice run of what not to do...

The way I see going that route you have 4 possible bad outcomes;
  1. You go at them face first and crack the lens in half because you don't understand physics.
  2. You go from the back, but you rush / push too hard and create a spider crack from the initial penetration point.
  3. The bit doesn't catch at first and skitter's across the lens leaving nicks everywhere.
  4. You didn't plan. Like at all, so you got this lens on your knee cause you don't wanna scuff it up on the table... There you are trying to drill through it only to realize you just drilled yourself, there's blood, like a lot of it... an it's starting to go everywhere so you rush to ER... but this particular ER won't admit you because you lack a face mask and gloves because you left those at home, because you didn't plan.. as you begin to become lightheaded you're approached by a man name Ralf, who states he's ancient time traveling shaman an he can heal you all you need to do is close your eyes - then you wake up an realize it was just a dream but it's important to plan **** out.

Back