• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Manufacturing costs of sunglasses

nathanforyou

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I am a new member here and while I cannot say I am an Oakley fanatic, the community and cooperation in this forum is really cool.

I am senior at the University of Michigan conducting research for a client that I work with as part of a consulting club on campus. This client is looking to expand their product portfolio to include sports sunglasses. While I have learned A LOT about sunglasses manufacturing costs, designs, and features there are many knowledge gaps in my research as a result of certain information not being available online. My biggest point of contention is that I do not have an understanding of the cost numbers for varying features. In other words, my client wants a pair of sunglasses that have it all, performance enhancing features (anti-fog, rubber padding, photochromic, etc), and at a lower price than the competition. If you're reading this far, appreciate you regardless.

Anyways, no where can I find numbers on how much it costs to, say, add a photochromic coating to a pair of lenses compared to the cost of adding vents to prevent fogging. This is really out there, but if anyone could provide me with some insights, or, really anything interesting about sunglasses for my product development research, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and best.

Last edited:
Let's revive this old thread....

When a brand makes 2000%+ profit on its products, production costs are almost insignificant.
Prior my joining the Oakley team, "scrap" wasn't even being tracked as a KPI "key process indicator". Their sole efficiency metric was: number of employees on the assembly line and output of that line... (MPU) minutes per unit. Each style had its own MPU normally between 1.2 thru 2.8.... that's minutes.
Each assembly line would produce around 700 to 1000 completed styles by hand, that's from individual pieces to boxed, in a single 8 hour shift. We had about 70 assembly lines, not counting RX and three shifts - 7 days a week.

Let's revive this old thread....

When a brand makes 2000%+ profit on its products, production costs are almost insignificant.
Prior my joining the Oakley team, "scrap" wasn't even being tracked as a KPI "key process indicator". Their sole efficiency metric was: number of employees on the assembly line and output of that line... (MPU) minutes per unit. Each style had its own MPU normally between 1.2 thru 2.8.... that's minutes.
Each assembly line would produce around 700 to 1000 completed styles by hand, that's from individual pieces to boxed, in a single 8 hour shift. We had about 70 assembly lines, not counting RX and three shifts - 7 days a week.
interesting stuff.

Back