• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mobile Applications? Your Opinion Is Needed

What do you think we should do?

• Release the Standalone app for a fee

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Release Tapatalk or Forumrunner then release the Standalone app for free

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Just wait for the Standalone app to be available for free next year

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • Other ideas(Specify Below)

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
So there has been a lot of talk lately about a mobile app for The Oakley Forum. We do have plans to release a standalone mobile app for iOS and Android, but the plan is to release this app sometime next year. Many members have recently asked about enabling Tapatalk or ForumRunner(Paid Apps which allow you to access numerous forums if they have been enabled). However this has brought up a question for the community:

The reason the stand alone app for the site won't be released until next year is because it is very expensive to design and release a mobile app and we are waiting for excess ad revenue(Money from ads left over after Hosting Costs etc) to be able to cover the costs. We were planning on releasing the app for free which is why we need to wait for the funding, however now that many members have expressed interest in paying for an app(Tapatalk and Forumrunner cost $2.99 and $1.99 respectively), the question has been raised whether we should release the Oakley Forum stand alone app sooner for a fee(say $.99 or $1.99).It is hard because I think to myself, well if people are going to buy an app, they should buy this one, but at the same time I want to eventually be able to offer this app for free. I am not in a position to make this decision so I figured this was a good time to get some input from the community. I have added a Poll which some of the options we have thought of. We are also open to other ideas and love to hear feedback.

Thanks, OakleyBoss

Wait for the Standalone app. Why give others monies from all you hard work Boss, you have built this forum up to what it is & you deserve the rewards. I would pay the small fee you mention for the standalone app. As long as it was you getting the money.

I second the motion..... I am not in a rush, but would pay you for an app......

.99 or 1.99 is nothing really, esp when taking what we purchase on this forum into consideration. =) even though i own a BB (i really wonder how i have survived the iPhone craze..), if i did own an Apple phone, or an Android, i would gladly pay for the app at that price. like Oakley_Sight mentioned, as long as the funds go back to the right people involved in the design process. standalone app is my vote for sure!

Although I have a Android phone and $1.99 is a tiny sum I likely wouldn't pay for the app. Although I'm sure most of the members are the opposite of me and would gladly pay for it.

if you release the standalone app for a fee now, and then once you have broken even or more, you can cut it to free, that way people that are willing to pay pay, and the people who are fine with waiting to save a few pennies, can do that as well, just cause it starts at a price doesnt mean it always has to be that price

i'd go with the standalone app... $0.99 or $1.99. I'm pretty sure O fans like us do not mind paying a small fee for the app... heck, we already spend ridiculous amount of money on Oaks, what's a buck or 2...

and u get 70% revenue from Apple App Store.

Latest Posts

Back