• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MSK3 Review

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 28th May, 2021 by @cacatman

MSK 3 Review

Introduction

Released during the COVID-19, these Chinese made masks (Guandong) are sold for USD$60 and can be purchased directly from Oakley here - https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO0036AC

They can be purchased for as little as USD$42 from some factory outlets. The disposable pack of 3 filter masks are USD$10, and the single washable reusable mask filters are USD$10 each.

Included in the box is the outer mask and two inner filters for filtration. On Oakley's own website, only the disposable single use filter is supposed to have over 95% filtration. The other filter is a reusable washable filter which is only "against air pollutants and dust particles". It is confusing, because if you purchase and additional reusable filter, it states "95% filtration efficiency PM 5.0", so I'm not sure if both filters are exactly the same rating or not.

Oakley's Disclaimer - These are for non-medical/non-professional use only and Oakley states that this is a "cloth face covering. It is not a medical device and it is not a personal protective equipment....This product does not provide antimicrobial or antiviral protection and has not been tested or qualified to prevent or reduce infections...".

Nevertheless, the feel of the mask is well made and appears affective.

Measurements
Top to bottom - 11.5 cm
L Side to R side widest part - 15 cm
Centre of nose bridge -> top strap - 8.5 cm

Materials
The main fabric is 100% polyester with the trim fabric 100% cotton

The gasket (part that is in contact with your face directly) is 100% silicone, so it's super comfortable.

The straps are 66.25% nylon, 33.75% elastane with a zinc alloy clip.

The nosebar in the outer mask itself are 100% aluminium for ease of adjusting, but will snap if over used, so be warned! There is a flexible nosebar in the filters also!

Filtration Inserts
They are only a single layer filtration but are supposed to filter out 95% of particles.

Feel and Ease of Use
The straps are adjustable and very comfortable. They should easily accomodate even the largest noggin.

The fit is pretty much perfect for my Asian face.

As advertised, there is no fogging when used with sunglasses. For any regular sunglasses or spectacle user, this point cannot be overemphasised enough. It actually is fantastic to be able to wear sunglasses without constantly taking them off to allow fog to clear. This is because the silicon seal at the top of the mask is very effective at preventing warm humid exhaled air from exiting at the top of the mask. Obviously, the tighter one pulls the ear straps, the better the seal.

Because there is a total silicon seal around the face, it is very comfortable. However, if used for long periods of time, it does trap humidity at point of contact. This is the only drawback to the design. Cloth/paper masks do absorb some of the moisture at the seal points.

The mask consists of 2 parts and must be used together. The outer black mask merely holds the filter in place. It CANNOT be used alone if you wish to protect yourself/others from COVID-19. The inner replaceable filter can be either a reusable filter or a disposable filter.

The filters themselves pretty much feel like drip coffee filters.

The reusable masks are very similar looking to the disposable filters, so make sure you keep them in their labelled packets until use. I didn't open the disposable mask, so I don't know if they feel different.

Both types of filters have a velcro attachment on the side which attaches to the outer mask (on the inner surface). The top of mask has a flexible silicon flap running down both sides of the nose bridge and this helps secure the top part of the mask to prevent escape or entry of wayward particles.

Note that the reusable masks can be hand washed a maximum of 25 times.

PROS
  • NO FOGGING while wearing sunglasses
  • Very comfortable
  • Solid construction
  • Easily adjustable
  • Looks awesome

CONS
  • Unlike some other masks, I hated the feeling of the mask collapsing on the inside onto your lips whenever inhaling. This is because the filters themselves are only fixed on the lateral edges and are only single layered, so easily collapse with inhalations.
  • Also, I disliked the sweaty feeling you get at the contact points when using it in warm conditions or for prolonged periods of time.
  • Other masks can be folded in half or collapsed flat. I wouldn't advise you to do that with this particular mask because of the aluminium nose piece in the non-replaceable black part of the mask.
  • There is no carry bag for it.
  • Do not frequently fold the mask and put it in your pocket. The metal piece in the silicon mask will eventually snap and be difficult to replace.

4A909ADA-A3CF-4821-B563-58FE26BCB76C.jpeg
EB7A33F0-9391-44B8-8B9C-5E0E3A515AD1.jpeg

17DFF59A-DAEB-4775-95D2-7371F7A9C0B3.jpeg

6E237AF7-06E2-408E-8BC3-7E006715C47D.jpeg

84B0C34F-72B6-481C-94A4-3FBADF2AA360.jpeg

1E537E90-36E3-47AE-9D4D-092CA8A02FDF.jpeg

4E92C265-02F2-4F7B-BCEB-FFE9F67DB136.jpeg

58F737F4-E052-4F46-A1FA-AF54E67E057C.jpeg

311205D3-1CCA-4AA1-8107-64376E4EACF2.jpeg

236303AD-E08A-4219-8EAC-B9A46BFBDF4F.jpeg

D835AFBD-455C-4F59-802A-2800D00F434A.jpeg

Special thanks to @trippledigitss for purchasing this and posting it off on my behalf!

Last edited:
  • Unlike some other masks, I hated the feeling of the mask collapsing on the inside onto your lips whenever inhaling. This is because the filters themselves are only fixed on the lateral edges and are only single layered, so easily collapse with inhalations.
This happens to me too especially when breathing levels increase depending on activity.
I've found some other filters work great at preventing this like the one from SoomLab. Check out my video on this and the links in the description.

• Other masks can be folded in half or collapsed flat. I wouldn't advise you to do that with this particular mask because of the aluminium nose piece in the non-replaceable black part of the mask.
  • There is no carry bag for it.
Check out my Travel Case review to help address these cons.

Cheers!

These aren't for construction type work. Unless you like ruining your mask and filters quickly, you're better off using disposables, if you are working and need a mask.

Agreed with all your thoughts here - perfect example about the coffee filter!! 🤣

Also just updated our review below and included some of your points/pics (with a shout out at the bottom).

Latest Posts

Back