• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My new Juliet lenses display

New update!

It took me a LONG time but I finally drew up a model replica to my satisfaction of the now-defunct Oakley Elite "faceted" logo. It's my favorite of the "non-standard" O's Oakley has done. It's the one they had on the C-Six's and the original Pit Boss for a short time.

The first image shows a couple of the trial prints on top, which weren't to my liking because the Z-seam blemishes were too obvious, then two good ones I made to my liking in the middle, one in 13cm and one in 6.4cm. The black one is the original metal logo that was mounted on the hard box of the Pit Boss which I modeled from, which is what I replicated with the 6.4cm size.

Second image is closer up of the original logo with the 2 good printed replicas. :dance:

View attachment 753824
View attachment 753825
This is awesome - really digging all these updates.

Do you have any interest, in sanding the large Elite logo, and then painting that?
Seems like it could be a awesome large display piece, I know I would love to have one for my C6 & PB1 display :)
Or maybe Hydro-dipped in Carbon Fiber.....drool

Thank you for the updates! Awesome designs

This is awesome - really digging all these updates.

Do you have any interest, in sanding the large Elite logo, and then painting that?
Seems like it could be a awesome large display piece, I know I would love to have one for my C6 & PB1 display :)
Or maybe Hydro-dipped in Carbon Fiber.....drool

Thank you for the updates! Awesome designs

I haven't had much luck before in sanding prints, they end up a bit rough and "hairy" because I end up loosening the tiny strands. And if you sand metallic filament like I used then you lose the metallic finish.

I'm still playing with the print settings to try to reduce the ridges on the top edge of the logo. I tried printing with a smaller layer height and it helped but didn't completely get rid of them. I suppose if the intention is to paint it over then perhaps some sort of filler to smooth out the ridges then sanding might work better than directly sanding the plastic. Also if that's the case they wouldn't need to be printed in metallic filament like I did either. But anyways, it's still a work in progress.

Here's one I printed with finer layer height in Gold filament. You can see the slight improvement in the top ridges.

2020-06-23 (1)s.jpg

I haven't had much luck before in sanding prints, they end up a bit rough and "hairy" because I end up loosening the tiny strands. And if you sand metallic filament like I used then you lose the metallic finish.

I'm still playing with the print settings to try to reduce the ridges on the top edge of the logo. I tried printing with a smaller layer height and it helped but didn't completely get rid of them. I suppose if the intention is to paint it over then perhaps some sort of filler to smooth out the ridges then sanding might work better than directly sanding the plastic. Also if that's the case they wouldn't need to be printed in metallic filament like I did either. But anyways, it's still a work in progress.

Here's one I printed with finer layer height in Gold filament. You can see the slight improvement in the top ridges.

View attachment 754579
Interesting about sanding the material. You are right perhaps a layer of filler sanded smooth could do the trick.

The metallic with the bumps gives it a depth effect as well.

Both Very damn cool! Keep up the creativity!

Early preview of what I've been working on...

tinked.png

Model was built from scratch using a picture of the One Icon coin as reference. Fingers crossed this will print properly...

View attachment 754579

Nice work and @SiRacer420 ‘s suggestion will solve your problems

Back