• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

stuartjross

Oakley Beginner
This thread will serve as the consolidated thread for identifying what Oakley Sunglasses you may have.

I've had a few pairs of oakleys in the past. X_metals which I loved but sold as they looked great in the box but terrible on my face, some frameless ones (why 2.0s I think??) and my all time favourite pair which I must have got back in the early 90s. I love these glasses but I have no idea what model they are. Normally not a problem but Ive noticed over the last year or two that the laminate on the interior of the lense has started to flake away and its causing a distraction while I've got them on. When I bought them I remember the salesmen telling me that the Gold lenses were the same type as the NASA astronauts used on their visors. Might be salesman BS but it sounded good :)

So I've got two questions really: What model are they and wheres the best place to go to to get replacement lenses? Photos below

5937076988_b2e9a0207e_m.jpg
photo

5936520421_45f43d6e16_m.jpg
photo2

5936521367_d0ebaf59a9_m.jpg
photo3

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are A Wires (released in 1998, retired in 2000). I'm trying to figure out what combo that is....likely Platinum with Gold or Gold Polarized (can't remember if Oakley etched Polarized on the lenses back then).

As for replacement lenses....good luck with OEM. You can call Oakley Customer Care and ask but I highly doubt they will have any. I believe you can find aftermarket lenses on eBay, but that's about it. Otherwise, you might want to consider selling those (Oakley might even take them as part of their trade in program) and upgrading to newer wire frame...if you like the oval lenses I would highly recommend the Whisker (or Square Whisker if you can wear squared lenses) as there a ton of various models out there polarized and otherwise for anywhere from $90 to $130.

Those look like original Square Wires with long earsocks. Gold frame and Gold Iridium lenses. A-wire lenses should have more taper more toward the earstems (photo 3). Aftermarket or eBay would be your only options for lenses as that model has been long discontinued.

Those look like original Square Wires with long earsocks. Gold frame and Gold Iridium lenses. A-wire lenses should have more taper more toward the earstems (photo 3). Aftermarket or eBay would be your only options for lenses as that model has been long discontinued.

I can see what you mean...what is confusing me is those don't look gold enough to me and those earsocks are the long ones and from what I have seen the Square Wire Gold/Gold didn't come with the long earsocks I don't think. Maybe the OP can advise as to the color of the frame...more Gold or more silverish?

Back