• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Opinion, Is my Juliet unfinished?

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
After some difficulty getting the lens out of the left eye I took a closer look at the orbitals and noticed there's an unfinished lip in two places on the groove.

I'm assuming that it's supposed to be smooth and tapered around the entire orbital as to assist in getting eye lens popped in once unscrewed.

P1022247.jpg

P1022245.jpg

Versus the right eye that appears to be mostly tapered around the entire orbital.

P1022246.jpg

I don't want to risk screwing up the Prizm Trail lens when they get here if that is not the norm.

Wow.. i mean i haven't checked my oakleys like what you did. I just check for deep scratches and scratches on lens and that's about it 😂

I did notice some casting marks on the orbitals of my R1s that messed up a few of my lenses

yea, I have some pairs that practically have teeth around the orbitals. Just like any product that had manual finishing, there were QC gradings that made some pairs go out as "seconds" or are just hit or miss. I noticed this with later signature releases having better quality finishes than older ones. personally, if you are having problems with lenses I would grind these down but you would see the smoothened-out part.

I guess it depends if these are wearers or not. Mine with the toothy orbitals are wearers and i didn't grind them down.

yea, I have some pairs that practically have teeth around the orbitals. Just like any product that had manual finishing, there were QC gradings that made some pairs go out as "seconds" or are just hit or miss. I noticed this with later signature releases having better quality finishes than older ones. personally, if you are having problems with lenses I would grind these down but you would see the smoothened-out part.

I guess it depends if these are wearers or not. Mine with the toothy orbitals are wearers and i didn't grind them down.
Yeah and i wouldn't wanna put in rare lenses in those either

you should have no problems installing a lens with those extrusions though.

pro-tip when installing lenses in x-metals (at least juliet, xx, XS Penny), put the edge of the lens into the moving part first. in juliets specifically; bottom edge first, push down from the top and into the orbital.

Back