• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Frogskins Crystal Series

Imitation is the best form of flattery right?

I'm with you on the lame "special editions" but you gotta move inventory. I'm assuming we are all referring to the smog's that have been repackaged with etching, but those all went to Japan right? Did the smog's originally get released in Japan? I don't think they did but I could be wrong. In that case they are somewhat "special editions", though in the internet days it isn't hard to get stuff from anywhere in the world.

As for buying releases up for the sole purpose of reselling them I don't see the problem. If you are a frogskin collector you know how to tell fakes, even real good ones, from the real things (popping the lenses out never fails for me, easiest way to tell besides the obvious screws stickers hinges, etc) and you know how much they are selling and could sell for well than it's a decent, easy way to make some money on your hobby (Froggies arent cheap!!). Now buying up 80 pairs of limited editions with 80 different credit cards is a little extreme, but picking up 2 or 3 pairs of Jupiters with the intention of keeping 1 I have no problem with. If you are hitting up Oakley.com everyday waiting for them to get released, why not grab a bit of $$ for your troubles. Besides these days it's probably your best bet to make money. The banks don't pay squat and the stock market is more volatile than a molotov cocktail!!

I was just wondering, as i am new to collecting froggies, what happens if you pop out the lenses of fake froggies or what can i look for to avoid mistaking even the best fakes...thanks

I am new to this board but have been collecting frogskins for a long time and definitely come across alot of fakes, however I am also
wondering how you can tell a fake by popping out the lenses...

Fakes are (usually) thinner and more flimsy. Also they almost always weigh less (enough to be noticed when holding them in your hand). and they tend to run larger than real lenses, though this is really only noticeable when popping them back in. Also, the edges usually are not as smooth, but I have seen more and more fakes that have just as smooth of edges so that isn't as big of a tell as it used to be. The weight thing is the easiest way to tell for me.

Back