• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Juliet New Zealand repair?

Yann

Oakley Beginner
Hi there,

New here and all - I was sorting through various boxes and came across my old Oakley Juliet sunglasses. I think I got these a long time ago, though haven't worn in ten plus years I am guessing, and so they were just boxed back up and moved with me from place to place. But I was checking them out nostalgically, though found that the rubber in the nose bridge has broken down and perished somewhat. I was just looking around to see whether it might be fixable, and ended up stumbling across this site.

I'm not really sure that I would actually still wear the glasses, but I was pondering whether to see whether I could fix it, or get it fixed up. Looking at the info around here seems to indicate that it will be a bit above my skill to fix myself, so I was wondering if there might be any place in NZ that people could recommend. I think there are a few commercial places around, as well as Oakley NZ, though seems like some people wouldn't recommend Oakley for quality control repair issues.

Looking at the info around, it seems like X-Metals seemed have appreciated in value for some reason. I still wear Oakley sunglasses, though haven't work X-Metals for a long time.

From what I have found, my pair are generation one X-Metal Juliets based on the serial number, and with Ruby lenses. I never changed the lenses, even though there were a couple of wee scratches in the time I wore them, and I did try and take some care with them at the time so they don't seem too bad for not being work for 10-15 years I guess? All the bits and pieces seem to be in the box, cards and extra rubber pieces. I also have a box and contents for a pair of Juliet (X-Metal/Black Iridium) though the glasses themselves were stolen about 18 years ago now, though also have a box and contents for a friend's Juliets which he left behind when he moved (box in one of the pictures).

But it sounds like the nose bridge perishing is a pretty common thing. I guess it isn't surprising given the age of the glasses, but any recommendations for it to be fixed locally (NZ) as well as an indication of cost would be appreciated. I see there are some reputable members who can undertake repairs, but they look to be located either in the UK or the US, so I imagine shipping and such could be prohibitive and so a locally based repair is probably more fiscally feasible.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers,
Yann

IMG_5861.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg

Thanks very much - I'll check it out, though may look to hunt out a more local repair as shipping back and forth to Australia can sometimes add a considerable amount.

really? interesting. I didn't know it would be that much. I do know it costs an arm and a leg to send stuff to my brother and family in NZ from the USA. Christmas gets expensive with the shipping. hope you had no issues with the Tsunami Warning

Nah mate don't think there anyone in nz who tunes them aye. Don't think oakley support them anymore. The closet I think is the x Metal workshop in Sydney. Ron does all my gear hes got my juliet at the moment. But if you gonna just sell them anyway just sell them as is and reduce the cost by $75 each set as that's what a tune up with new flex couplers cost. If you need any more info hit me up

It probably isn't too bad shipping wise - I just did a quick check as to how much it might be sending to Sydney, and it is probably around USD$25-45 to have it tracked there, though that has a base value of around USD$140 just as a default kind of insurance price I loaded in. It isn't too much, but just adds a bit for back and forth, so something local would be a little less overhead. I used to send things to friends in the US, but half the time the postage ended up being more than what I was sending.

Thanks for the well wishes regarding the earthquake and such! I'm further inland and on the other end of the North Island, so no problems here. I was awake at the time, and it ended up being a fair wobble that lasted a while - always a bit of a worry waiting to see where it was and whether it affected anyone badly though.

Thanks Jase - thanks for the info. I see there are commercial operations saying they repair glasses here, but they look to be generic repairs and not specific. I guess I am just weighing up the cost of a proper repair, though that would be for me to keep them for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. I think my eyewear choices have changed a bit, so wearing them look a little strange to be honest. Will have a ponder as to whether to sell, but I just have the one pair, not really sure there would be much of a market here, then again I was surprised there was such an active community as well an active trade going on.

Good to know locals (NZ/AU) have used and recommend the Workshop, and good to know of the $75 cost for your tune ups.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Jase - thanks for the info. I see there are commercial operations saying they repair glasses here, but they look to be generic repairs and not specific. I guess I am just weighing up the cost of a proper repair, though that would be for me to keep them for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. I think my eyewear choices have changed a bit, so wearing them look a little strange to be honest. Will have a ponder as to whether to sell, but I just have the one pair, not really sure there would be much of a market here, then again I was surprised there was such an active community as well an active trade going on.

Good to know locals (NZ/AU) have used and recommend the Workshop, and good to know of the $75 cost for your tune ups.

Cheers! :)
All good man. Plenty of kiwis and Aussies here on forum. @cacatman has a list of all of them. Fb group as well southern Cross oakley collectors if you need any local advice or contacts

Hi there,

New here and all - I was sorting through various boxes and came across my old Oakley Juliet sunglasses. I think I got these a long time ago, though haven't worn in ten plus years I am guessing, and so they were just boxed back up and moved with me from place to place. But I was checking them out nostalgically, though found that the rubber in the nose bridge has broken down and perished somewhat. I was just looking around to see whether it might be fixable, and ended up stumbling across this site.

I'm not really sure that I would actually still wear the glasses, but I was pondering whether to see whether I could fix it, or get it fixed up. Looking at the info around here seems to indicate that it will be a bit above my skill to fix myself, so I was wondering if there might be any place in NZ that people could recommend. I think there are a few commercial places around, as well as Oakley NZ, though seems like some people wouldn't recommend Oakley for quality control repair issues.

Looking at the info around, it seems like X-Metals seemed have appreciated in value for some reason. I still wear Oakley sunglasses, though haven't work X-Metals for a long time.

From what I have found, my pair are generation one X-Metal Juliets based on the serial number, and with Ruby lenses. I never changed the lenses, even though there were a couple of wee scratches in the time I wore them, and I did try and take some care with them at the time so they don't seem too bad for not being work for 10-15 years I guess? All the bits and pieces seem to be in the box, cards and extra rubber pieces. I also have a box and contents for a pair of Juliet (X-Metal/Black Iridium) though the glasses themselves were stolen about 18 years ago now, though also have a box and contents for a friend's Juliets which he left behind when he moved (box in one of the pictures).

But it sounds like the nose bridge perishing is a pretty common thing. I guess it isn't surprising given the age of the glasses, but any recommendations for it to be fixed locally (NZ) as well as an indication of cost would be appreciated. I see there are some reputable members who can undertake repairs, but they look to be located either in the UK or the US, so I imagine shipping and such could be prohibitive and so a locally based repair is probably more fiscally feasible.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers,
Yann

View attachment 843904
View attachment 843905
View attachment 843903
View attachment 843906View attachment 843907

Hi Yah!
DM if you are still in need for a repair of the nose bridge.

Cheers.

Latest Posts

Back