• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Olympics Pro M Frames and New M Frames

mfr12

Oakley Beginner
UK
Hi,

Any M Frame experts?

I’ve recently joined here, but have been collecting for a few years now. The best two pieces in my collection are, I think, an Electric Mustard Pro M Frame and an 80s Green New M Frame - see pictures attached below.

When I bought them, I was told that the Electric Mustard was once owned by a US track athlete and the 80s Green by a Japanese long track speed skater. From a quick Google search of images, I saw that an Electric Mustard was worn by Fani Chalkia at Athens and Sven Kramer at Vancouver, and an 80s Green was worn by Artur Nogal, Artur Was and Shane Williamson at Sochi, so I know that such models were used by Olympians.

So, my question is, how do I know if mine are genuine, or were modded outside of OakleyI’m guessing that modding to create an Electric Mustard would be relatively difficult, though I’ve seen some create an 80s Green more easily. From my photos, you can see on the inside of the hinges of the 80s Green frame that it was sprayed on and was once white underneath, like the Green Fade. My 80s Green also came with a Vented Jade Iridium Strike lens without the Oakley lettering in the middle, so I’m guessing that it would be too much effort to mod the whole frame and lens package, unless it’s an aftermarket lens?

It would be good if I could check with those who know better here about the history/origins of these two sunglasses, since I don’t think that either of these models were ever made available retail, nor has there been much discussion about them in the past on this website.

mfr12
C7F70562-87F0-4470-BB19-E0D450EE8B6F.jpeg
CE987DD6-75DD-4DBB-A00B-6CD5EDCBE7F5.jpeg
C8026C0C-3E76-4314-A390-2486A9B1A5AB.jpeg
109C8EDC-B9C1-4ADE-8984-960595413536.jpeg
EF8DAAF9-C25C-4112-AE18-C0214907AE29.jpeg

Welcome

I've heard similar stories about the mustard pair and it looks legit from what I've seen.

The green pair looks like the green from the Bobby Labonte NASCAR pair but it isnt exaxtly the same I think. I've only seen one before.

Welcome

I've heard similar stories about the mustard pair and it looks legit from what I've seen.

The green pair looks like the green from the Bobby Labonte NASCAR pair but it isnt exaxtly the same I think. I've only seen one before.

I’ve not got the Labonte, but I can see from pictures out there that it came with gold icons and looks a bit darker green than mine (my one almost seems to ‘glow’ in dull weather), and the Labonte came with an specially-etched black iridium, or grey (?), lens.

I’ve been trying to see if any shops still stock the Green Fade to compare paint colour for starters, but no luck so far as they’ve sold out a while back.

I’ve not got the Labonte, but I can see from pictures out there that it came with gold icons and looks a bit darker green than mine (my one almost seems to ‘glow’ in dull weather), and the Labonte came with an specially-etched black iridium, or grey (?), lens.

I’ve been trying to see if any shops still stock the Green Fade to compare paint colour for starters, but no luck so far as they’ve sold out a while back.

A comparison to the green fade wouldnt tell much...since they come from two completely different time periods.

The best info on something like this is the source it came from, if that source was reliable. Oakley did in fact do tons of one-offs and special colorways for athletes/Olympians in that time period and the M frames were one of the sports frames they commonly did special colors on for athletes, so its not uncommon for these special colors to show up, the colors themselves are in fact what is uncommon.

Correct, the LaBonte pair is darker. Both pairs look to be original Oakley. The electric mustard was released I believe so without any documentation it would be hard to say it is the exact same pair. With the green being what appears to be a custom color the chances are greater it could be tied to someone specific. Its a cool pair! I like it!

Green looks sweeeeeet! If the thought that its not original bothers you, i'll take it lol.

I've got a couple that i purchased from oakley.com that had a little white on that same spot, a them blue and team red.

The lens is after market. I can't see oakley etched above the nose.

A comparison to the green fade wouldnt tell much...since they come from two completely different time periods.

The best info on something like this is the source it came from, if that source was reliable. Oakley did in fact do tons of one-offs and special colorways for athletes/Olympians in that time period and the M frames were one of the sports frames they commonly did special colors on for athletes, so its not uncommon for these special colors to show up, the colors themselves are in fact what is uncommon.

You’re right: Green Fade came in for Rio 2016, so not a good idea to compare against.

I guess that I would need to get my hands on something like the Radarlock given out at the same time to athletes at Sochi, though that would be an expensive effort just to find one out there to compare. I think that the only way that someone would ever know for certain is if they were that athlete picking it up straight from Oakley - unfortunately, that definitely was not me.

Like the Electric Mustard, I’ve only ever seen a handful out there in sports pictures and collections. I’m hoping there there may be someone here who does have one or both in their collection to say that they seem to be the same as theirs.

In any case, I’m pretty happy to have them both, and unlikely to come across anyone else wearing the same pairs - that being said, it’s rare for me to see M Frames of any colour worn these days out running/cycling :-(

Latest Posts

Back