• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Guides?

Highlandcow

Oakley Beginner
Any guides on painting frames for the first time? Undercoat, keying in etc? In other words keeping the paint from coming off!

Painting is not as easy as it sounds........I've tried. One thing I can tell you is frame prep is key. Without that, your pain will not last. Different frames can get you different results too. i.e. original Fives frame will be different from a Fives Squared Frame in terms of frame prep and getting paint to stick.

That doesn't mean you can't successfully paint frames and end up with good results.

Good quality paint and method of application is also important.

They craftsmen here are masters, they have gone through the pain of figuring out what works and what doesn't. I can only imagine the time they put into their craft.

Even when you think you've got the process down, be prepared for something to not go right.

This past summer I had success painting a few half jacket frames and a Fives 4.0 frame. So then I did a few Fives Squared. One came out beautiful. I almost posted a pic here to show the forum........I'm glad I didn't. It started out as a nice metallic copper with black icons. Now is a "peeled metallic copper with peeling black icons".

Talk about a heart breaker. My conclusion was that my frame prep was not done correct. Back to square one.

I did a copper juliet in the same color, but I'm afraid to put it all back together if the paint will peel on that. I've been going back and forth on what to do for months.

If you are patient and have the time, you can do it. Good luck

Youtube is your freind.. You can learn anyting from making tables to making coffins to painting lures!

Lure/Crankbait painting is a great place to start. :)

Latest Posts

Back