• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Photochromic Lens vs Prizm Low Light Lens - Early Morning/Evenings

irb007

Oakley Beginner
Wondering if it's a no-brainer to get a Photochromic lens when biking outside early mornings when it's still dark but slowly transitions to sunny (and vice versa in the evenings) or does a Prizm Low Light lens have a place in these conditions as well? Any opinions if you had to choose 1?

Wondering if it's a no-brainer to get a Photochromic lens when biking outside early mornings when it's still dark but slowly transitions to sunny (and vice versa in the evenings) or does a Prizm Low Light lens have a place in these conditions as well? Any opinions if you had to choose 1?
In the scenario you describe, I would go Photochromic; it gives you the ability for a darker lens as it gets lighter without having to swap them out, whereas Low Light is for use in prolonged low-light conditions.

Last edited:
And from what I understand, the Photochromic don't get all that dark; if you're expecting the darkness and low light transmission of Black Iridium, you're going to be disappointed.

I had the same dilemma as you. I originally purchased photochromic, but wasn’t entirely happy with them since I enjoy the contrast of PRIZM. I tried riding early mornings with PRIZM trail and was very impressed, but once the sun came out in full force, it was a bit too bright for me. Eventually settled on trail torch, as it seems to be the best of all worlds. For what it’s worth, low light didn’t impress me all that much either.

Latest Posts

Back