• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polycarbonate or Nylon?

Which material do you prefer? (See Comparison Info Below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, what I meant to say is that we do not know of any other aftermarket replacement lens manufacturers that are making products in Nylon. Optometrist have been using nylon for years for rx lenses and they get them from large manufacturers like Zeiss and Essilor

Sorry, what I meant to say is that we do not know of any other aftermarket replacement lens manufacturers that are making products in Nylon. Optometrist have been using nylon for years for rx lenses and they get them from large manufacturers like Zeiss and Essilor

So the only downside is they are more expensive it seems.

How much would Seek be selling them for?

Is the Nylon your referring to a polyamide material ? If so it most likely belongs to the same family of products that NXT or Trivex by PPG industries employs ... I remember NXT having military applications for its superior impact resistant properties

Trivex is a much more recognizable name in the optical industry ... only real drawbacks to it is it’s lower refractive index to poly (1.53 ish to 1.59) so can’t be surfaced as thin (this has no bearing for Plano Sun) and increase cost due to casting process

Other than that nylon or Trivex is superior in every way to poly especially when it comes to optics and resistance to material warpage/ radial fracturing from compression ..

RB offers Nylon lenses as OEM on some of their sunglasses. Oh, and Xiaomi (yes, the Chinese smartphone brand) has a few polarized sunglasses with Nylon lenses under their Mijia sub-brand.

Do you know any RB sku’s in particular?
I’m headed to a vault and SH and wanna see what all the fuss is about.

Do you know any RB sku’s in particular?
I’m headed to a vault and SH and wanna see what all the fuss is about.
Don't recall the exact SKU, it was a frame from the tech series (RB8xxx) - but then I believe all lenses in the "Chromance" series are nylon as well.

Is the Nylon your referring to a polyamide material ? If so it most likely belongs to the same family of products that NXT or Trivex by PPG industries employs ... I remember NXT having military applications for its superior impact resistant properties

Trivex is a much more recognizable name in the optical industry ... only real drawbacks to it is it’s lower refractive index to poly (1.53 ish to 1.59) so can’t be surfaced as thin (this has no bearing for Plano Sun) and increase cost due to casting process

Other than that nylon or Trivex is superior in every way to poly especially when it comes to optics and resistance to material warpage/ radial fracturing from compression ..
Yes, the nylon we are referring to is exactly as you describe. A polyamide material like Trivex & NXT

Back