• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm lens distortion

I think it may have to do with an issue in the Iridium finish if it's doing it that bad. For example, a mirror coating will (deflect) reflect a bunch of light away from your eyes... But the original polycarbonate surface will also reflect light away from your eyes. So if those two layers aren't applied properly, or are defective, or damaged from improper handling/care/storage, you may notice a slight double image. If it's ghosting or creating that "starburst" look, the lenses if new typically just need to be cleaned better. They may have smudges and oils impairing the optics.

Those are my best guesses.

I know this thread is old, but I've had the same issues with a few different Oakley lenses recently. Fire Iridium Polarized on a pair of Valves and Emerald Iridium Polarized on a pair of Valves. I'd previously only worn Flaks in the past, so I figured it was something with the curvature of the Valve lenses. I then scratched a pair of Ruby Iridium Polarized lenses on my Flaks and bought replacement Sapphire Prizm Polarized lenses which also also ghosting. I exchanged them for another pair in hopes that it was a defect, but it's clearly not, as the replacement pair had the same effect. I understand that sunglasses are meant to be worn outside in the sun and the effect is nonexistent outdoors, but there are plenty of times I want to run indoors quickly and now I have to remember to pop my shades off every time if I don't want to be hit with this effect when I come indoors; my kitchen has 8 individual recessed lights in the ceiling, one ghost image per lens, which is why the OP noted seeing 3 light sources, is like having 24 different lights except it's worse because the ghosted lights are blurry and can have a slight dizzying effect.

My previous Ruby Iridium Polarized lenses did not have this, nor do my Black Iridium Polarized lenses, nor do my Prizm Daily Polarized lenses. I doesn't appear to happen with lenses without some sort of mirror coating, so I do think it's related to that, but I don't know why it's only been a problem I've noticed recently unless manufacturing quality has declined.

I know this thread is old, but I've had the same issues with a few different Oakley lenses recently. Fire Iridium Polarized on a pair of Valves and Emerald Iridium Polarized on a pair of Valves. I'd previously only worn Flaks in the past, so I figured it was something with the curvature of the Valve lenses. I then scratched a pair of Ruby Iridium Polarized lenses on my Flaks and bought replacement Sapphire Prizm Polarized lenses which also also ghosting. I exchanged them for another pair in hopes that it was a defect, but it's clearly not, as the replacement pair had the same effect. I understand that sunglasses are meant to be worn outside in the sun and the effect is nonexistent outdoors, but there are plenty of times I want to run indoors quickly and now I have to remember to pop my shades off every time if I don't want to be hit with this effect when I come indoors; my kitchen has 8 individual recessed lights in the ceiling, one ghost image per lens, which is why the OP noted seeing 3 light sources, is like having 24 different lights except it's worse because the ghosted lights are blurry and can have a slight dizzying effect.

My previous Ruby Iridium Polarized lenses did not have this, nor do my Black Iridium Polarized lenses, nor do my Prizm Daily Polarized lenses. I doesn't appear to happen with lenses without some sort of mirror coating, so I do think it's related to that, but I don't know why it's only been a problem I've noticed recently unless manufacturing quality has declined.

View attachment 642862

Ruby and BIP have mirror coatings. Iridium...
Either way, I certainly wouldn’t disregard what Chris said. He’s an eye doctor.

Ruby and BIP have mirror coatings. Iridium...
Either way, I certainly wouldn’t disregard what Chris said. He’s an eye doctor.
Sorry if my comment came off as disregarding Chris' comments, that wasn't my intention. I was simply noting that I've seen it in way too many Oakley lenses lately - I've loved Oakley for years, but this has me a little discouraged and hesitant to buy online anymore. I'll try giving them a good thorough cleaning, but I'm pretty sure his first comment about the coating vs the polycarbonate is the issue.

The fire Iridium is definitely to do with something in the way their mirror refracts and reflects different wavelengths of light. Because it's almost always been there and many patients have complained or returned their fire lenses. It's slightly better in polarized lenses with anti glare, but I'm not exactly sure why since it's not the backside of the lenses causing this effect.

The fire Iridium is definitely to do with something in the way their mirror refracts and reflects different wavelengths of light. Because it's almost always been there and many patients have complained or returned their fire lenses. It's slightly better in polarized lenses with anti glare, but I'm not exactly sure why since it's not the backside of the lenses causing this effect.

Polls show that 85% of UFO sighting were reported by people wearing Fire Iridium lenses...the other 15% are real.

Latest Posts

Back