• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Project Mag Switch

SamSuffy

Oakley Beginner
Hi All,

Just started a Mag Switch refurbishement and looking for advice..

after more or less 8 years of wearing the sunnies were in this state:

initially.jpg

I was first quite disapointed not finding a way to remove the two arms, but after some structural analysis I found out that the pins which retain the arms to the orbital have a small cavity/hole, I then took a thin self-drilling wood screw shown in the backgorund of this picture (yes it's a cat tail :D)

20200305_204623.jpg

And managed - by turning slowly the screw into the hole -(no p.j. inside) to stick the screw inside the cavity (no p.j. inside) , once it was firmly holding inside, all I had to do was to pull gently and voila !

after lot of reading in the forum I found several useful threads :

A useful page here by @cacatman explaining everything about these beauties..

a superb guide to remove the glasses WITHOUT cutting a hole through the lenses here!!
thank you @BriP it worked for me - I found it easier to disassemble the whole stuff before removing the lenses - less risk to the structure..

the complete instructions by @N Jenner on how he custom polished his. here
thank you for the scotchbrite hint it worked for me and I finished the job with two different steel wool shown below:

20200305_204736.jpg

20200306_223824.jpg

And now ?

I'm there :

20200308_195612.jpg

Still need to perfect the polish which is 95% complete

but the main question now is : what donor lenses could I use to cut new lenses ?
I would like to buy them here if possible polarized and as close to Ice as possible
I'm also thinking about nose bombs... the nearest size I found is PENNY Nosepads Small [PE-NP-S] which are 7,5 mm by 16 mm and that would hopefully fit ..

Any thoughts Brothers ?

Sam

Well done! You are brave - I hated working on those haha. Looks great!
You could probably find some ice donors, though they’re getting hard to find. DWP wouldn’t look bad either. Can’t wait to see the finished project

Thank you to all of you for your kind words, this is my second restoration in 20 years.. and i found it much better than the first time :)

Great job here, what will you do for new bridge pins ? Or did they come out with no problems .

I just used the old ones, they came out quite easily by pushing them from behind with a small nail, pushing them back to where they belong is more tricky but not impossible with some patience which was the key word for all this excercice

I just made a set of lenses for a member, and @Bonz-1 did the polishing.
You are doing an excellent job here. If you'd like help with lenses feel free to reach out. @scrodo is the guy who will soon have a complete refurb'd set.

@Chris A Hardaway - I will pm you this week end about these ;)
@Bonz-1 @scrodo would love to see the results you guys have somes pix ? :popcorn:

Thank you to all of you for your kind words, this is my second restoration in 20 years.. and i found it much better than the first time :)

I just used the old ones, they came out quite easily by pushing them from behind with a small nail, pushing them back to where they belong is more tricky but not impossible with some patience which was the key word for all this excercice

@Chris A Hardaway - I will pm you this week end about these ;)
@Bonz-1 @scrodo would love to see the results you guys have somes pix ? :popcorn:
Go look in this months contest lol

Back