• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

re: "BNIB" - What does it really cover?

Always ask if you are unsure, don't assume just because someone is selling a rare item that they care about it as much as you do. This is especially true for anything thats has been discontinued for a while, you have no idea how/where it was stored.

Most buyers are not collectors so the packaging is just something to protect the product until it arrives to you, then it's purpose is complete and bye bye it goes to the waste bin. You can't know if the seller is a true collector (perfectionist / every flaw counts against the value) or just someone with a sought after item they realized is valuable. The exception to that would be if they specifically mentioned something that'd reflect that it would be expected the box's condition be flawless i.e; never been touched by human hands, or stored in padded temp controlled climate since purchase.

I go out of my way to ask questions about the condition of the item and packaging (if applicable) just to be sure that I interpret their description the same as they believe they are communicating it to buyers (if they only say "BNIB" I'd ask how/where it stored etc.). I've had my fair share of excellent or like-new condition times arrive, only to find they hired Helen Keller to do the inspection and/or the packaging job for shipping. An in those cases I've reached out to express my displeasure in a civil way, most seller's have been understanding although have gotten a few; It's just a box... the contents are new like the description said.

Always ask if you are unsure, don't assume just because someone is selling a rare item that they care about it as much as you do. This is especially true for anything thats has been discontinued for a while, you have no idea how/where it was stored.

Most buyers are not collectors so the packaging is just something to protect the product until it arrives to you, then it's purpose is complete and bye bye it goes to the waste bin. You can't know if the seller is a true collector (perfectionist / every flaw counts against the value) or just someone with a sought after item they realized is valuable. The exception to that would be if they specifically mentioned something that'd reflect that it would be expected the box's condition be flawless i.e; never been touched by human hands, or stored in padded temp controlled climate since purchase.

I go out of my way to ask questions about the condition of the item and packaging (if applicable) just to be sure that I interpret their description the same as they believe they are communicating it to buyers (if they only say "BNIB" I'd ask how/where it stored etc.). I've had my fair share of excellent or like-new condition times arrive, only to find they hired Helen Keller to do the inspection and/or the packaging job for shipping. An in those cases I've reached out to express my displeasure in a civil way, most seller's have been understanding although have gotten a few; It's just a box... the contents are new like the description said.

TL; DR

Back