• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

re: "BNIB" - What does it really cover?

Anyhow, I don't wish to be a jerk, but this is what I've written....

Hi there,
Firstly, thank you for posting this item well packed and quickly.
I'm sorry to raise this issue with you, but I received the pair of Oakley matte green grenade sunglasses today, but the sunglasses box was obviously damaged before postage. One of the flaps was completely torn off (with the piece enclosed), and the box itself was split and taped together. The item was described as "BNIB" ie. brand new in box. I expected everything to be in excellent condition. Your photograph was taken in a way which only showed the box in pristine condition (the other side). I've enclosed a photo of what I received. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind, as the sunglasses are in perfect condition as described, however, as you know, this is a collector's piece and considering the price that was paid, I feel that it's not unreasonable to request partial compensation for the item.
Best regards,

I wouldn't really call the Olive Grenade a collectors piece. Just a nice pair of limited Frogs. As long as the glasses are immaculate and the box is there I wouldn't care too much about the condition of it. Personally I don't think it's misleading. This pair is seven years old. It makes sense the flimsy plastic box would get beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the seller, and don't want to hide behind anything since I'm just reading this and seeing that someone suspects the seller is a member.

It seems there are mixed reviews from the posts so far.

One end of the box, on the flap being torn does not seem unreasonable in my opinion. The pair is mint BNIB, and a lot of Frogs I buy, that have the plastic boxes, come the same way. I don't agree that this makes them not BNIB.

I would agree however if the box was a themed box, display box, or a newly released pair coming like this. But for a 5+ year old box I don't understand the issue.

Sorry not much support here. There is the box it's the right box and the glasses are new in the box.
The Frogskin box is unspectacular and cheap (some might say like the contents including Jim himself) and is generally not displayed.
I would see a foul if the pair were a grail but they really are a Frogskin LE.

This wouldn't be much of an issue with me. I'm okay with the BNIB listing if the glasses are perfect, and you said they were. That's what you bought, the box came along. If you were buying the box, without the glasses, I doubt they would have been described the same way. He was describing the glasses. And it wasn't a special box...just a frog box. My STPL Holbrook box is a bit beat to hell, and I have no issues even with that.

Your all correct. Bnib in my opinion is unopened sealed and never touched. Lnib is better to say. Close to new but it's passed as been touched and very clean. I agree with some comments here. Ask for a partial refund. It can't hurt to ask. 225 is alot for the grenade but if you really like them it doesn't matter what other people say they are worth. Ive over paid for tons of pairs. Especially frogs but I don't care as most were must have pairs for me. The seller I'm sure is genuine. Unfortunately that title bnib is a touchy one. They better be factory perfect for me to say that.

Good luck and your fine to post this kind of stuff here. We are all here to help.

Cheers
Brian ( SoulfulFrog )

i think you could send a polite email to the seller requesting a partial refund. explain that his photos didn't match the description and that 'bnib' is widely accepted as 'brand new in box' - exactly as you would get from an official retailer.

keep us posted as to how you get on...

Sent from my Nokia 5210 using TapaTalk
This is the best answer and I bet the seller helps you out.

Dear All,
Many thanks for all of your input. It's appreciated.

It was a genuine question that I had and you've all given me a better perspective.

I did ask for a refund (politely!!) and sent the link to this thread to the seller who has responded above. Thanks @sisson16. It didn't go my way, but I won't be taking it any further.

It is a lesson learned for me to know that BNIB is only referring to the sunglasses themselves, though!!!

The more information the Seller provides in the listing, the happier both the Seller and the Buyer will be.
When a listing says "BNIB" or "LNIB", without any further written description, the Buyer must ask for more info before deciding whether or not to buy. As demonstrated by the responses in this thread, people's expectations concerning the condition of items described as BNIB or LNIB varies greatly, so BNIB/LNIB isn't a very helpful way to inform the Buyer what to expect from a purchase.

Back